Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Simonon's Fender Precision...and what's left of it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by volker, Apr 13, 2003.

1. My friends and me have always been wondering what The Clash's bassplayer's Precision looked like "after" the pic on the London Calling album was shot.
    Some time ago I was told that the remainder of that bass guitar can be viewed in a music historical museum in the US. Does anyone of you guys have a photo?
    :D

2. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Paul Simonon:

"We used to get cheap Fenders from CBS, they were newer models, quite light and insubstantial. But the one I smashed that night was a great bass, a Fender Precision, [it cost about] about £160, one of the older heavy, solid models, so I did regret breaking it. In fact, I gathered all the pieces up and kept them. I loaned it to the Rock Hall of Fame in Cleveland for awhile, but I've got it back now."

From http://www.gpjones.free-online.co.u...-21 Palladium NYC/79-09-21 Palladium NYC.html

[​IMG]

3. Interesting! And quite poignant also that he actually regretted smashing that bass.
    And yeah, that's the "before" pic! :D
    Thanks for the research! @ erik II

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I know your request was for an "after"-pic, but I've never seen one. Just threw the other one in for illustration. :)

5. ...but one that surely comes very close to it *laughs* - Thanks! @ The Mock Turtle Regulator :)

6. actually, on reading that quote from Simonon, that bass must be the one from the london calling cover- it's from the Rock hall of fame-
    they say "1979 Fender precision"- maybe Simonon got it wrong about it being pre-CBS?

7. Yes, the link you posted is the one to the museum's website erik II mentioned. So it probably actually is the bass from the "London Calling" cover! :D @ The Mock Turtle Regulator

8. Hmmm...sounds to me like dancehallclasher is confusing old Sting pics with Paul Simonon ones?! *shrugs*

I remember those fretless maple necks were a nightmare to bassists preferring round wounds because they damage the rather soft wood very easily (compared to ebony).

9. ...but then again this is what I found on the www:

Downbeat 12/’82: "…Paul Simonon plays a fretless Fender Precision bass through Ampeg amp/speakers…"
    :confused:

10. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle

Oct 22, 2009
    SoCal
    VP, Kay Vintage Reissue
    Paul Simonon did play a fretless on some tunes in '81-'82. The Callup was one for sure.

[​IMG]

11. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Took you only 9 years to reply eh :)