Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Simonon's smashed bass - pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Paul Simonon's smashed bass (think London Calling cover) has a great pickguard - it has weird swirly stripes and seems to be a tortoise-brownish color. Any idea where to get one like it? i think if I eventually got a white P-bass it would be cool to add that pickguard as a kind of pseudo-tribute to him.

2. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    ah yes good old pauls bass, quite a shame it got smashed, i saw it at it's final resting place at the rock n roll hall of fame in cleveland

the story behind the pickguard is one of personality, paul liked his instruments to reflect him, so he altered them I.E.

heres his rickenbacker
    [​IMG]

and heres his pbass again
    [​IMG]

well anyways he was at the time and still is now, an artist, so he removed his pickguard and swung wet paintbrushed at it in a jackson pollack style

also notice the jamaican influence with the green and red and yellow

also heres his pre-rick/pre-clash bass
    [​IMG]

so if you want that effect, remove your pickguard, and get some acrylic paints and swing it at the pickguard

heres a bonus for ya

[​IMG]

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Hes one of my favs, I think fender should come out with a custom p-bass for him, with the pickguard and stuff.

4. In an interview I read with him, he said he hated his rickenbacker, and wanted to turn it into a table.

5. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004

yeah, he hated it, he thought it was too flat

6. Thanks a lot for the info. I'm no artist, unfortunately. Cool background to his instruments though.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think that it could be argued that Pollock style artistry is within the capabilities of most people.

If you really wanted to try it I think that it be a fairly easy job. Cost would probably be in the 0-30 dollar range, depending on the amount of supplies you already own.

Post a pic if you decide to "paint" it. Just don't smash it afterwards.