Paul Simonon's smashed bass - pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Paul Simonon's smashed bass (think London Calling cover) has a great pickguard - it has weird swirly stripes and seems to be a tortoise-brownish color. Any idea where to get one like it? i think if I eventually got a white P-bass it would be cool to add that pickguard as a kind of pseudo-tribute to him.
  2. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    ah yes good old pauls bass, quite a shame it got smashed, i saw it at it's final resting place at the rock n roll hall of fame in cleveland

the story behind the pickguard is one of personality, paul liked his instruments to reflect him, so he altered them I.E.

heres his rickenbacker

and heres his pbass again

well anyways he was at the time and still is now, an artist, so he removed his pickguard and swung wet paintbrushed at it in a jackson pollack style

also notice the jamaican influence with the green and red and yellow

also heres his pre-rick/pre-clash bass

so if you want that effect, remove your pickguard, and get some acrylic paints and swing it at the pickguard

heres a bonus for ya

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Hes one of my favs, I think fender should come out with a custom p-bass for him, with the pickguard and stuff.
  4. In an interview I read with him, he said he hated his rickenbacker, and wanted to turn it into a table.
  5. kearney

Jul 5, 2004

yeah, he hated it, he thought it was too flat
  6. Thanks a lot for the info. I'm no artist, unfortunately. Cool background to his instruments though.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think that it could be argued that Pollock style artistry is within the capabilities of most people.

If you really wanted to try it I think that it be a fairly easy job. Cost would probably be in the 0-30 dollar range, depending on the amount of supplies you already own.

Post a pic if you decide to "paint" it. Just don't smash it afterwards.