Paul Socolow?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tsar nicholas, Apr 8, 2012.

1. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    There's a New York session cat named Paul Socolow who's got some of the illest, most lively bass tones I've heard. I'd like to find out more about his technique and gear, but info on Mr. Socolow is muy scarce. There are a couple of YouTube videos where he's seen playing J and P/J style basses, but that's all I can find.

Does anyone have the scoop on how he gets monster, crushing, punchy tones like on this classic David Byrne cut from 1994?

David Byrne Lilies Of The Valley (HQ) - YouTube

berlihe likes this.
  2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He's been around awhile, I have a vinyl lp from 1977 from the John Payne band that he's sounds great on.

3. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    I recall playing some Brazilian gigs with him in the early '80s in NYC, when I was playing trombone - a great player, and a very nice guy.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    In the mid-to-late '70s, he and I played in some at the same Boston jazz clubs, such as the 1369 Club in Inman Square. And (get this) I think we might have dated the same woman... but not at the same time. She introduced me to him, at any rate.
    Anyway... yes, a very nice guy... and on the David Byrne clip, it sounds to me like he's using a Jazz Bass, bridge pickup only, through an octave pedal. Roundwound strings.

5. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    Thanks to everyone who weighed in! Very cool stories and info. It would have been amazing to play with this cat!

6. OlliL

OlliL

Apr 22, 2014
    Finland
    Paul Socolow was playing in Webster Lewis Quintet in Pori Jazz 1976 in Finland. I just posted some picture of that gig in my blog (can not add a link yet as I'm a new member here, but you can google it if you like). Paul is only in one picture with Webster Lewis. - Have to admit, that I can not remember any details of this gig almost 40 years ago. - It was hard to find any details of Paul, so I linked this discussion in my blog. :)

7. maryedinburgh

maryedinburgh

Sep 4, 2014
    Hello, yes, I know Paul. I am a good friend.
    Mary