1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul Stanley's Art

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lavmonga, Mar 7, 2008.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Ok so Paul Stanley of KISS is an "Artist" now....a paintburshes artist, not a guitar artist. I'm a huge KISS fan and am usually supportive of most things they do but come on! I've just got to get this off my chest and am looking for someone to agree with me. Does anyone else think his art is nothing that a disgruntled junior in high school couldn't pull off? I mean it's not awful art, but it is far from impressive.

In addition, all his appearances are being billed as "free to the public." I have a friend working at Wentworth and apparently you can stroll in and see Paul's work for free, but if you want to meet him, you have to buy a painting (starting at $1,500). That just kind of bothers me too.

I know it sounds like I'm just hating on the guy, but the rave reviews his art is getting is just making me nauseous. They are asking over 50 grand for his original pieces. All his art either looks like 1. a heart, 2. a kiss painting, 3. an a$$hole, or 4. a sad attempt to be Peter Max. Just my 2 cents.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    well, he's no joni mitchell, but art is art....

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    He ain't no Picasso.......

:D

4. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Okay this is not grand art, but I find the pieces I see interesting nonetheless.

5. Art is in the eye of the beholder. So you wouldn't buy it. That's fine. Neither would I. But someone else will.

Oh, and I noticed something in the bottom right hand corner of the "finger painting" of his you posted...a signature.

The fact that Paul Stanley of KISS painted it probably adds value in a lot of people's eyes. It certainly places him in an excellent position to market the stuff to a paying audience.

6. ubado

ubado Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Yea, art is art... be it a kid in kindergarten making "Macaroni Art" or a Rock Icon... you'll find someone who likes it and finds it to be "Art".

Unlike a kindergartener's art... he has a name to back it.
    Most likely he's only getting recognition due to some "collectors" thinking that it'll be worth something after he's dead. With all of the Kiss fans... I'd imagine that it will hold some value to that group of collectors.

I can hear it now...."I'm a avid collector. I have works from... Duchamp, Picasso, Matisse, Pollock, Dine.... and my most prized .... Stanley." :eyebrow:

7. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    Paul Stanley NEEDS MORE MONEY.

8. motleystew

motleystew

Apr 29, 2006
    Lewisville, TX
    Some of his stuff is not too bad. He painted the Statue of Libery in those bold colors and it looks ok...I would buy it if I had the scratch. I do get your point about the KISS machine though. Gene especially will put the KISS logo on anything.

9. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY

Yea but does the name "Paul Stanley of KISS" really mean much today? I mean it isn't 1978 or even 1996 anymore. I feel like KISS as a whole has just fallen by the wayside and the general public doesn't really care anymore. I dunno, like I said, just had to vent...

10. I think I like Lars Ulrich's art better.

11. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Now I know he didn't paint his own face when in costume with KISS. :meh:

I call this one "Fun with Fingerpaints".

12. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Nice wig....

13. For 50K, I could do better...............using spray bombs and my paintball gun :rollno:

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    So what bothers anybody about anybody else's art?

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Why get upset over someone else liking it or buying it?

Now that is crazy.

15. I don't understand why Jackson Pollock's crap is called "art"

[​IMG]

and Paul Stanley's crap is called "crap".

[​IMG]

Looks like both kinds of crap are "art". :D

16. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Still better than Ronnie Wood's portraits... So far, the only seriously good painter-who-also-rocked-and-rolled is Don Van Vliet (a.k.a. Captain Beefheart).

17. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    It depends who is in the artists social circle really.

18. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    This type of painting is defined as Abstract, meaning it is not supposed to be a painting of any particular idea or object. The only question is, do you like it or not? Id not then for you it is not good art. If yes then its good art for you.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Art is art... do I like it, not really, Do I hate it Not really. Does my wife love it? YES!!!!

My wife is a huge Kiss fan and if it makes her happy (and stop her from reminding me how many basses I have ;)), I'm OK with it.

2008_Paul_Stanley_2006.
    2008_Paul_Stanley_2008.

20. :)

....but I always thought Gene was the "wig-man"...