1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul Stanley's Art

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lavmonga, Mar 7, 2008.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

There's a lot more to abstract art than just "abstractly" putting paint on a canvas just like there is more to improvisational music than just "improvising" notes. Just like any other art, it takes talent and lots of practice and experience to create quality abstract art that someone will pay money for--unless the signature on the bottom is already world famous. :p

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Pfft. If this is art, then I've created stains on toilet bowls that could be considered masterpieces.

3. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    ruh? :eyebrow:

Joni_Mitchell-Both_Sides_Now.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That "art" is just amatuerish.

5. So were The Ramones and Blink 182...and look what happened there ;)

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Art is nothing more than the expression of one's Soul.

If it connects with only one single person, then that is all that matters.

No one cares if it doesn't connect with you.

Bad art doesn't exist. Poorly done paintings? Sure. But there is no such thing as bad art.

7. Well...

Paul Jackson Pollock was an influential American painter and a major force in the abstract expressionist movement not to mention he actually could paint! the above painting you posted, was produced during his drip technique period from 1947 to 1950. (and they are his most popular) If you look at his work before and after the drip period he could actually paint, not to mention he was formally trained. He attended both the Manual Arts High School in California and then Later, New York City, where he studied under Thomas Hart Benton at the Art Students League of New York.

His drip art is art simply because he pioneered it here in the U.S. using paints that most other artisit would not....namely household and industrial paints, not to mention he used a stick most of the time, instead of a brush...

m-moon.

this painting is before his well known drip period.

Studies have explored the nature of Pollock's technique and have determined that his works display the properties of mathematical fractals; and that the works become more fractal-like chronologically through Pollock's career. They even go on to speculate that on some level, Pollock may have been aware of the nature of chaotic motion, and was attempting to form what he perceived as a perfect representation of mathematical chaos - more than ten years before Chaos Theory itself was discovered.

Stanelys art cannot even be compared, his use of color sucks, but i suppose if he keeps doing it for years and years maybe, just maybe, he may end up producing something worth hanging on a wall

Sadly though his name alone will sell it!

does that answer your question?

8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    He didn't paint his art he has. He bought it all and collected it.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

You honestly think those two paintings are of the same quality?

I hate Kiss. I really do. They are just money hungry assholes who know how to sell a product. They are great businessmen, but nothing any of them have done amounts to "art" in any form.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I don't understand the whole jealousy/envy thing with regards to artists (any of the arts...music, painting, writing, acting, etc.).

Why would anyone waste so much energy on something one doesn't like? Kind of stupid IMO.

Also, if anyone thinks they can do something as well or better... then instead of complaining, why don't they just do it?

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I hate ponsey art as much as the next man but I can genuinely see a huge difference in quality between those two paintings. The kiss guys does look chilidsh and very amateurish

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Funny news story, 20/20 or somehting like that.

They showed some art to these critics and everyday "collectors" and the critics were loving it, using all these sophisticated words to describe the art and how mature and seasoned, etc the artist was.....

.....they all felt reallllllyyyyyy dumb when the newscaster showed the videos of the kindergarten children painting the paintings!!!!! :D

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Quality :smug:

I think like wine and audio. Art, up to a certain point there is truth and merit in peoples thoughts and opinions. Then the whole thing goes from being reasonable to mostly just in their heads and it is what they believe it to be rather than it is what it is. I don't know I've explained myself clearly there

14. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Christ, if that's a wig on Simmons I hope he kept the receipt....:eyebrow:

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Definitely looks like a wig...far more interesting than the art, sadly!

16. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The art of children (aka "refrigerator art") is art in it's purest form, devoid of ulterior motives. Pure expression. Don't dismiss it.

I am an artist and an art teacher. What makes art "good" is purely subjective. What makes art, "art" isn't. It's just one person expressing their self, be it through music, poetry, or just plain old finger painting by a three year old.

Whether someone likes it or not is irrelevant. Whether someone buys it or not also means nothing except to the parties involved. Art is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I really do not understand what the big deal is here.

17. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I like this one.

Mark Rothko inspired?

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I guess that paul stanley is lucky there are people that think like this

:bag:

19. peawar

peawar

Sep 20, 2007
    North Carolina
    hey! he stole my kindergarten fingerpaints!!

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

I can only do so much.