1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paul Turner/Jamiroquai

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hizzoner, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    rockin out this week on Jool Holland!!!!!!!!! hope they come to the US this tour....new title track is out there in youtube land too.

2. nice to see them again, Paul is awesome

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    so that's what they'd sound like if they were a 3-pc ;) i saw keyboards and percussion but i didn't hear them.

4. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Another crap mix by the staff at the BBC I'm afraid, this is a reoccuring theme with the Jools Holland show and others. I watched the whole show and PT had the worst mixed tone of the evening (not his fault, PT is awesome a nice guy into the bargain), the other bands were using P basses and a semi for Ray LaMontayne (did I spell that right?) and they were OK (just OK though). I thought Jamiroquai were disappointing and I was especially looking forward to it too :meh:

5. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I really wish they would tour the states. Been wanting to see them since 1993.

6. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    The mix wasn't great but I enjoyed a more rocking raw sound from them...kinda fresh...

7. joelx817

joelx817

Aug 13, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Paul's a great player and a stand up guy. Looking forward to seeing if they make it to the states too.

8. Darko74

Darko74

May 18, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    Only original member is jay. Not half as good as they used to be. Not doubting there ability as musicians. Just lacks something.

9. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Imo Paul could have used an octaver and a distortion for the beef on that track, sounds a bit thin and not just because of the mix, that riff needs doubling up.

10. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    seems Paul Turner is using Aggie GS cabs in this video..I wonder if that has something to do with his tone...prob not..
    he is on the Aguilar website listing as using DB cabs..some good examples of him playing the new filter twin there too..

11. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    They toured the US a few years ago, I saw them in SF.

12. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone know what strings Paul uses? All I know is that he prefers "played in" stainless rounds..professing to barely change them.

I've heard people mention DR as well, but I was wondering if anyone knew which exact ones (Hi beam, Lo-rider, other?)

Semi off-topic, I know..forgive me!

13. Hizzoner

Hizzoner

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago area
    I called DR and they said DR lo riders...

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    WRONG. The drummer and percussionist have been with Jay Kay since the absolute beginning.

His guitarist, Rob Harris and his background singers have also been with him for about a decade, too.

NOTE: The guitarist's tone smokes. Paul Turner sounds OK, but Mr. Harris has an amazing sound.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I got a hold of their new album, and Paul turner IS A BEAST!!!! I only like about 3 songs on it, but overall, the bass playing is great. Paul's touch is aces!!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021