Paul vs Justin

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by olps, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Paul (old bassist)

3 vote(s)
  2. Justin (new bassist)

37 vote(s)
  1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Which Tool bassist did/do you prefer, and why?
  2. Justin uses his bass kind of like a horn. I know it sounds weird but it does. His power chords are great, too.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Paul had a cooler heavy metal tone... Justin has that sound that I define as the tool sound... So I guess Justin is a better bassist for tool, though Paul seemed more versital.
  4. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    ill have to go with justin..
    i like paul alot
    but i both feel they contributed greatly to the albums and i feel they both did there job
    its sorta like apples and oranges
    but something about justin i like more
    ill pick justin
  5. hehe judging by my name i'm gonna have to say Justin...I've seen both of em live and Justin just has more of a presence when on stage and the music he writes is amazing...nice low end sound :D.
  6. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Justin seems to fit Tool's overall music better as far as working well with the guitarist and drummer. I cast my vote to Justin. -Luke
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Definately Lord Chancellor!! I hate Paul's tone for the most part,, i dont think it sounds good except for Sober. Also,, seems like Justin does more with his left hand than Paul ever did. I definately enjoy AEnima and Lateralus much more than Opiate and Undertow,, mostly because of the bass.
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i enjoy paul's work on OPIATE...

but justin is just a better musician. well, maybe that's in part due to the direction tool headed before he joined anyway.

justin's playing is more creative and ethereal.

gotsta check out peach's disc.

and plus, how can you not like a bass player with a few wals? (i AM that shallow!:D )
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

I always thought Paul was a sloppy bassist.
  10. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    After seeing Tool live last night at the LA Forum,, I can reassure myself that they're my favorite! Not the greatest seats,, but I could hear it well enough. VERY tight band,, they improv'd several songs,, going ahead a beat or two,, doing different stuff in the middle of the songs,, sweet.

BUT,, their was too much distortion on the bass,, couldn't hear it quite as clearly as I would like to.
  11. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    For me it's no contest, Justin is THE man on bass for this band. Paul had an agressive sound and style, but that was it as far as I'm concerned.

Justin added a better sound, more thoughtful lines, and musically, he's just a better fit for the band. Aside from some cool lines, I really dig his use of effects to obtain some interesting sonic textures. He doesn't just hold the low end, he contributes to the arrangements in a big way.
  12. Ya know, I didn't even know that tool ever had a different bassist that justin. In any case, after going back and listening to their albums I'll say that justin is my favourite. I love undertow but I think that they just have a more intelligent sound and lyrical style with justin.
  13. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    exactly! sums it all up perfectly.

off topic (slightly):

he uses a rat...and i tried a rat...and i couldn't find that sound on the intro at "H." at all. hrmm...the closest i got was a sound slightly similar to a boss odb-3, but it didn't jump out at me as "That" sound, ya know. maybe i just suck?

also, i have a favor to ask. all fellow "guitar geeks" (as in should email asking for the setups for adam jones and/or justin chancellor.

i emailed them last night with all the info they'll ever need (and then some!).

do you think i'm obsessive? be honest. ;)
  14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
  15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, i kinda hinted that it wasn't the rat that made his distortion sound (as far as i know).

oh, and he now uses a mesa boogie m-pulse 600 in addition to the m-2000, and both can get distortion (?).

he only used the 400+ in the studio, and he doesn't use a wah (the wal's treble nob can be pushed up for a broader sweep. on "the patient" he's actually hammering the notes with his left hand while turning that nob with his right).

did i not tell you that i'm an obsessive fan?:D

(if you want to know more about justin's and adam jones' gear, pm me with your e-mail address...or go email per my request).*

*justin's current cabs were pretty tricky to figure out, but i'm pretty sure about how he uses the new mesa cabs.
  16. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Actually,, he DOES use a wah!! That's how he said he got the un-bass like sound at the beginning of Eulogy. Also,, my skillful eye spotted the 400+ in his amp rack the other night too,, apparently he does use it live.

As far as cabs,, they were obviously 8x10s,, and I expected them to be Mesas,, but they didnt have a logo in the middle,, it was in the corner,, made them look like Classic SVT reissues.

No hard feelings here man,, I'm just trying to prove myself worthy of being a Tool fan!!:D
  17. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i had no idea about the new amp stuff. maybe the info i've come across is a little dated. perhaps the soundtech requested this rig, or justin wanted something different? could be the venue's backline rig, but that's doubtful...

i could swear that he uses a digitech whammy on the beginning of "eulogy" (the high pitched, semi organ sounding part that is carried on in the first verse). in fact, adam said that in one of the many interviews i've read ( has an archive of EVERY article printed about tool...the one in particular is in 2001, and it is marked by[**justin and adam talk details about their setups**] IIRC).

can you provide me with that entire interview, or snipits thereof, where he says he used a wah (possibly part of the "noise" in the beginning...)? a link is acceptable, too.

question: what bass did justin use during "parabola?" obviously a wal, but did he break out the greenburst, or was it a natural finished one, exactly like his birdseye one? don't tell me that they didn't play it drop B/E!

hey, anyone who likes tool's music is worthy of being a fan. you've *only* proven yourself as much of an obsessive fan and/or gearslut as i am! perhaps even more so!?! :eek: :D
  18. Both of them are awsome,so i can't vote for one.

Paul wrote alot of the basslines on Ænima,so it's hard to compare.

Justin went alot more experimental on lateralus,so he created his own style for that album.

Justin doesn't use a wah he uses a digitech whammy.

And he does use the greenburst Wal live for parabola.
  19. Justin.

I never really appreciated him too much for a few years, but lately he has become a big influence on me and i have fallen in love with his playing. I still like Paul a lot, and Undertow is still my favourite album cos I like the heavier side of Tool's earlier music.
  20. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so i'm guessing you saw them before they hit the states, eh mate?

i wonder if they'll play "prison sex" on this tour, as it would require ANOTHER instrument (dropped B, not dropped B/E like "parabola"). i checked out and it said that he now has two birdseye wals, the greenburst, and the fretless (before that, i thought he had the one birdseye, the greenburst, and the fretless). logic leads me to the conclusion that the other one is probably used for "prison sex" (the song! :D ) or as a back up.

still no word from lackey.:(