Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Warburton

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Hats off to Mr. Warburton!

You might be able to hear a stream of him with pianist Dick Hindman's trio at http://www.dickhindman.com/downloads.html

Anybody who has worked with artists as disparate as Pharoah Saunders and Dale Bruning must have a lot to say. Huzzah!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Huzzah indeed. But the site won't let me download any tunes, and my connection is too slow to stream. Perhaps Paul should also be included on the TB Johnson sampler?

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Agreed, except for "perhaps"...;)

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Wow. I'm listening to "Paulo" right now. Paul, that Bohmann in your hands sounds just wonderful. Outstanding.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    While Ron is an obvious innovator and Ray's tone is to die for, Paul's contribution to Talkbass cannot be overlooked-oh wait I think I posted this in the wrong thread.

ps-I was also listening and enjoying Paulo while writing this.

6. Actually, as great as Paul's playing is on these recordings, the recording engineer failed to get the true sound of the his marvelous Bohmann bass. I believe Paul said this was recorded "direct". Perhaps Paul will clarify how it was recorded. Anyway, as one who has heard Paul and his Bohmann on numerous occations, there is a lot more to the Bohmann than comes through on this particular recording.

There is one non-recorded part of Paul's career that must be mentioned for those of you who don't know Paul. Paul is one of the hand full of great bassist who were at one time 1/3 of the legendary Bill Evans Trio. Perhaps if enough people request it, we can get Paul to talk about how he got the job and what it was like playing with the great Bill Evans in the sixties.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Seconded!

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    C'mon Paul-don't make us beg!

9. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Hey, I'll beg for us if it comes to that...

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    http://www.synergymusic.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=3

There's the site for Paul's quartet record.

It's such a fine disc. Paul's a blinkin' monster . . . time, taste, more imagination than you can imagine . . . a real "Oh, that's how you do it" piece.

Paul has very graciously agreed to share a bit of it on the TB/DB sampler, too. But the whole shebang is well worth the time and the dime.

11. Oh boy, you guys are somthing...Here's the deal...I can't even remember who did what, but I sent the Dick Hindman Secret Garden double CD and my Quartet CD..Speak low into who ever handles the sampler. I can't find who the hell that was, and i'm embarassed about that! Anyway, the Hindman thing was re-released by Dick from the original recorded in 1984. The Bohmann was recorded direct which makes it sound...Well, you know, not like its self. Dick goes on and on in the notes about how wonderful I am and even writes a tune for me..Paulo. (I thank him by quoting " Melancholy Baby" on my solo!) This alone is worth the price of the CDs!
    The cut " Lost in a Dream " is the one Dick talks about in the liner that shows a little of the Bill Evans kind of piano/bass interplay, and is everyones favorite cut because of that. This was played at my wifes funeral.
    My quartet CD is a " live " performance and actually captures the Bohmann sound pretty good. Both of these CDs are available on-line.
    The Warburton/Bruning may be available through Capri recoords. Dale is a wonderful Jim Hall inspired guitarist and this was recorded during my Red Mitchell period. This is kind of a poor mans Jim Hall/Red Mitchell outing. Titled " Our Delight "
    The Hindman section is also featured on Bossa Nova Eyes...Richie Cole/Palo Alto. This band toured Europe and Japan extensively.
    Joe Bonners Impressions of Copenhagen / Theresa. Got me the European tour with Pharoah Sanders..and Samuel, how the hell did you know about that? Bonners Copenhagen can be found on Evidence if you're into out of tune strings and horns.
    I got the Bill Evans/Philly Joe Jones gig entirely on the recommendation of the great lady Jazz pianist Pat Moran. Scott LaFaro made his first record with Pat.
    I sent the entire " Bill and Paul " ( my time with Bill Evans kind of in story form ) To Bob Branstetter. Tell you more about this later.
    Enough about me. What do YOU think of my playing?

12. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got the Speak Low CD and I do love the sound of the bass on this recording - there are some wonderful sounds, that as people have said, made me think "how'd he do that!" ;)

I got the feeling that there are some notes below the normal range - is it a 5-string or an extension? I have a feeling a 5-string was mentioned, but I could be wrong!

I would recommend it to any Jazz and/or DB fans! :)

14. olivier, where the hell did you get this? This is from a Dick Gibson Jazz Party in Denver. These are some of my musical fathers...especially Harry Sweets Edison! He was so much a part of jazz history! I have a picture my wife took of he and I. He's hugging me from the back...I've been so lucky to have had many people of this stature in my life! Thanks so much!
    Gibsons parties were every September and for the players, it was a chance to really hang out in a relaxed, laid back way, at somebody elses expense!
    Jimmy Rowles had a party in his room one year and ordered 45 club sandwiches with all the booze to match and of course charged it to Gibson!

15. Yeah Bruce, it's a five stringer (lo B)
    See John Spragues cool hosting of the Talkbasses
    under Basses for some good pictures of my 1888 Joseph Bohmann.

16. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Isn't www wonderful ! I landed on this site looking for picture of The Judge...

Here is the KWMU Jazz Index Page, just two clicks away from the above-mentioned photo.

I really enjoy playing this "Sweets" (by Sammy Nestico ?) tune with our local big band. I'm glad you like the pic. Take care.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for that - I thought I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't remember where!! ;)

Is an acoustic low B harder to play - as in, does it take a greater toll on your fingers and is it harder to get a sound consistent (in tone and volume) with the other strings?