Paul Weller Band

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WillieW, May 4, 2021.

1. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I thought this woman was one of Paul's better bassists. But apparently she was not a good fit in terms of temperament and was sort of ostracized by the other players.

2. Great song and a good bass line, but not one to inspire me like Down the Tube station did ;). But after listening to this song I feel like putting on some more Paul Weller while I'm working!

Son of Wobble likes this.
  3. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Yeah, I understand the distinction you make in regard to bass lines.
    Paul Weller's later day material doesn't seem to be built around them. Same goes for Macca.

Here's one of my favorite filmed shows, Y2K with an orchestra at Albert Hall.
    I saw a full show on Youtube recently from the Sidney Opera House 2018 that showed Weller to be in excellent form.
    I've seen more gigs by him than anyone, and all over the world.

One of my faves remains a show at Shepherd's Bush Empire, cuz the fans were so mad fer it.

Greatest live moment was an acoustic "Foot of the Mountain" at House of Blues Anaheim, bleak venue and a sleepy night of the week, but Weller just rocked it out.
    Oh, and an acoustic show in Germany where he came onstage with wine and was a little sloppy as a result, but very passionate. That was a small seated theater, like 400 people, pretty cool.

BassVibes likes this.
  4. Foxton's bass playing was the perfect foil for Weller's guitar playing coupled with the fact that they were a 3 piece gave him a lot of space to work in. Weller's later arrangements involved less space for the bass to work in and that is part of it I think. And so most of the later bass lines just wash over me.

That's me commenting with my bass player hat on. With my music fan hat on, I couldn't give a monkeys! Weller has done a tonne of fantastic stuff after the Jam. True Meanings is great album for me, the guy just keeps giving us amazing music.

Can't quite say that about Macca though!

The Royal Albert Hall footage sounds great - Weller is on fire there! Roll on live bands again and I can see him live for the first time.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021