1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paula Deen

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've been a big fan of Paula Deen for a long time. She is fun to watch and her Southern charm is very appealing to me.

As upset as so many people are with her right now, I can remember many times her saying "I'm your cook, not your doctor". Still, I am disappointed at the timing of her announcement. That being said, I can't wait to watch her sons show.

Get healthy Paula.

-Mike

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, it is unfortunate. I wish her the best of luck. I enjoy watching her and have definitely taken a lot from her show and recipes.

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    Her eyes creep me out...

4. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Great recipes, but man, those Stepford-wives robotic eyes!!!

I wish her the best...

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    So? Alton Brown lost 50lbs and he still promotes foods that he has said he won't eat since he changed his diet. It's not like the stuff she was making was that healthy to begin with, but people watch it and enjoy it. I don't care if the person making it actually eats it, as long as the recipe is good.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Just the timing for me. She decides to come clean now that she is pimping a diabetes drug. I have no anger towards her. I hope she gets well and stays on TV.

-Mike

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That's the reason I'm a little upset with her - not mad mind you, but upset.

8. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I've always disliked her show. I have never seen her make something appealing.

That being said I have no idea what is going on with her right not but I am assuming her butter fetish has finally caught up with her.

9. Meh. None of her recipes have ever really spoken to me. Also, she seems very fake. Way too many "y'alls" etc. to be sincere, IMO.

10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    paula-deen-butter.

My aunt has met her off camera and said she's a hoot . Apparently she isn't putting on a show and has always been that way. I do like some of her recipes and wish her the best on her recovery.

11. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The Paula Deen show is part of the southern strategy to keep yankees from moving down here.

It started with Jimmy Carter. That didn't work so, quite frankly, I don't think anything will.:p

12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    Well what did y'all reasonably expect her to do? She makes tens of millions of dollars from her recipes. Businesses, and she is a business, lie all the time to protect profit.

And really it was no one's business that she's diabetic. There are people who contract diabetes; who are bone-rack thin and exercise regularly.

13. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Aside from the fact that she looks and sounds entirely too much like my ex mother in law I think Paula would be "my kind of people". I was raised on cooking similar to hers and have been around gregarious southern women all my life.

I don't begrudge her any business choice she makes. It is, after all, her life and her body. Her responsibility is solely to her and her family. If people are looking to a celebrity chef for life guidance then they are beyond help IMO.

14. This is a very nice and polite version of what I was planning on posting.

15. I grew up here in Savannah and knew of her when she ran "The Bag Lady" before "the Lady and Sons" and all of her fame.

She is originally from Albany, Ga. and pretty much everyone around there talks/acts like that. So I don't doubt her authenticity.

I do find her timing of this a little suspicious as has been mentioned.

Also, as a native, I can honestly say that her cooking isn't all that special down here. Lot's of people cook just as well if not better (Mrs. Wilkes restaurant, in particular, is far superior IMHO.)

But in her defense, she has never claimed any of her food was healthy or that you should eat that way all the time.

16. This.

I have been watching the Food Network and various other cooking shows for many years and I like a majority of them. Paula Deen is someone I never cared for - not her food, her personality or her mama's boys sons.

Obviously I wish no ill-will against her, but from what I am hearing, she has been diagnosed for upwards of 3 years and had kept it private. It's awfully convenient to now come out as your pushing medication just to (presumably) make a profit. To me, it comes off as very insincere and greedy and an abuse of her position.

If she really cared about helping people she would have changed her recipes earlier and put out a better message instead of waiting to profit off of the news. Now it seems like she is the righteous one because she is jumping on the diabetes awareness train, but I don't buy into it.

17. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We made a ham with her peanut butter glaze recipe and it was fantastic. We watch accasionally. I'd like to see her promote diabetes prevention more, now that she's come out publicly with her diabetes.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Other celebrities have done worse things. All her recipes start with a stick of butter. All her desserts have a cup of sugar. They are yummy. They are not to be eaten daily. You need to be able to think for yourself.

19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

So she only cares about people if she changes her food to suit the PC worlds needs?

Hmm.

I also don't buy that she waited to profit off her disease. What about Wilford Brimley? Is he a profiteering mogul because he also pimped a diabetes product?

How about the myriad of celebs that have done spots for different pain medications?
    Those evil suns of guns that do commercials for aspirin!! How dare they profit off my pain!! They should change their lifestyle so they never get hurt, or sore. And they should tell me how to do the same thing, because I'm a lemming and need all the help I can get with my life. The thought of me being responsible for me is so 1950's.

It's somewhat exaggerated, but close enough to the mark to ring true.

The simple truth is, you and those that think like you were never going to try her food. It's not your type of thing. That's cool. Those that DO, would still eat that way regardless if Paula was around or not. She's not a fried food evangelist converting people by the droves. She's a chef with a style that is there to try, or not.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Her son has a new show coming out on the Food Network called "Not My Mama's Meals". He makes the same recipes, just healthier. I am really looking forward to it.

I went to Paula's restaurant years ago, before she was as poplar as she is now. Her on screen demeanor is very genuine and authentic. She is just like that off camera in my experience. That being said, I am sure there are stories of her being less than friendly.

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.