1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paulo Gregoletto of Trivium

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by metallist, Aug 6, 2007.

1. What do my fellow bassists think of this guy? Personally I think he has improved some what since there last album (Ascendancy) - for starters he has made the leap from pick style to finger style; not just 2 fingers but 3!

I am also a fan of his bass (the 5 string Mokingbird, not the white Warlock).

So, post your thoughts!

2. Appreciate him as a good bassist. Hate Trivium's tone.

3. megadethjohn

megadethjohn

Apr 25, 2007
    Chicago
    From what I've heard he's allright...but I can't really stand to listen to his band for more than a couple seconds so I haven't heard to much.

4. He is really not good at all.

5. rowan5978

rowan5978

Jul 12, 2007
    England
    Well Im going to be slightly biased, because Trivium are my favourite band, main influence, and Paolo is the reason I picked up a bass just over a year ago.
    I think he's an exceptional player and brings alot to the band!
    And I want to buy his new sig bass which is being released at NAMM 2008 in 8 days.

6. UPTHE1RON5

UPTHE1RON5

Dec 10, 2007
    meh, hes okay i suppose

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Meh.. Mediocre player, mediocre band.

8. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    You say "Made the leap from pick to fingers" like it is an improvement...

9. I saw them live in 2004 with Machinehead and Chimera. They totally outplayed and out performed Machinehead and were a perfect opener for Chimera who destroyed everyone in the venue (Irving Plaza, NY, NY).

He played damn good and had a great tone then. Had a red Mockingbird bass but it was a 4 string to my recollection. I haven't listened to much of the new stuff but from what I've heard, it isn't as good as the older stuff (I'm getting sick of saying that).

The guy has got chops, anyone who says he sucks is a fool with head-up-arse syndrome. I think too many bassists are going with the geetardist way of thinking of the more notes-the better you are..

10. I'm not a huge Trivium fan, but they get a lot of unnecesary stick. I wish I had been in a band like that when I was 19! They can all play rings round any number of similar (and older!) bands. And their most recent album, The Crusade, is a blinder.

Paolo was a fairly dull root-plugger on the first couple of albums, buried in the mix, but he's come into his own on The Crusade - the bass is well up in the mix, the lines are good, and there's even some bass solos. I sense young Mr. Gregoletto may be destined for great things. :)

11. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    That's funny, I've seen both Machinehead and Chimera live and I thought they both stunk. Machinehead was back in 1996, when they really sounded like a Korn ripoff band, maybe slightly heavier. I still don't like them. Chimera...I went to a show specifically to see them, and they were by far the worst band. Unearth opened for them and blew those synchronizing-headbang clowns out of the water. Then Soilwork and In Flames put the nails in the coffin.

I can only take Trivium in small doses. They're great musicians, especially the guitarists. I've pretty much never noticed the bass in their music at all though. I'm just glad something metal finally came out of my hometown (Orlando, which is usually known for boy bands and Mickey Mouse).

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A very standard player, nothing special at all imo.

13. dannoman

dannoman

Feb 3, 2004
    Wow....

i think he's a great player, I personally didn't listen to their earlier stuff couldn't stand the screaming stuff, but their last cd is good. and i was impressed with his playing

14. I totally hate Trivium. But paulo is not bad at all. A solid Trash metal bassist. I'd really be interested to see him in another band. I think he is very cliff burton influenced.

15. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    He's a good musician, but his band is a joke.

16. I couldn't believe how bad Machine Head was... I mean, jaw droppingly bad. Bassist can paly and has AWESOME tone, but the songs... ugh.

Chimera was really hight energy and seemed to pull off al ltheir songs great, but it was my first time seeing them so I really have nothing to compare. I don't doubt them being bad at times...

17. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK

Yeah, Machinehead's bass tone is decent (like in the older song "Ten Ton Hammer"), but they pretty much blow.

In all fairness, when I saw Chimera, their drummer was the worst part of the band, and I think he's not with the band anymore. He was HORRIBLE. His double-bass technique was pure crap, completely sloppy. That's a deal breaker for a metal band IMO. But they may be better now. I still think the synchronized headbanging is really cheesy though. I want a band to do what comes naturally to them. Choreography is for r&b.

18. Death is from Orlando. :cool:

19. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Most early death metal started in Florida too.

20. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    NICE. I always thought Death was from Tampa. There's a TON of metal that came out of Tampa. That's cool though.