Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pavarotti & Friends

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So I'm sitting here momentarily shedding on "Straight, No Chaser" and I see there's a pay-per-view show coming up... "Pavarotti & Friends".

Apparently he'll be sharing the stage with Andrea Bocelli, Grace Jones, Lou Reed, Sting...

and James Brown.

Where's my credit card?

2. Oh, good Lord, not Pavarotti phonetically singing pop in English. Please, Brad, don't waste your money.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I can't stand Pavarotti.
    He's "sliding up" to every note he sings [can't describe it better] - and it always makes me cringe.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Don't like fretless singing, eh?;)

I'm not ordering this thing. I was just trying to imagine him doing "Sex Machine" with James, including the choreography.

6. I had the pleasure of working with him a few years back and I assure you he really is very deserving of being considered a major legend. He is an extraordinary opera singer. I do agree he should stay the heck away from the Pop stuff - that just sounds ridiculous.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Wierd! I think I'd actually like to see that!
    I can just picture Pavarotti and Sting doing "Every Breath You Take", with special surprise guest...P Diddy! :eek: :rolleyes:

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    pavarotti stinks

9. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have a Pavarotti & Friends CD from 1996 ("Pavarotti & Friends For the Children of Bosnia"). I think it's a beautiful CD w/ guests Simon LeBon (Duran Duran), Bono and The Edge (U2), and Meatloaf among others. "Ordinary World" sung in Italian is quite interesting. I'm not sure about the special you're talking about but I really love what he and everyone else did on this CD.