1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Pavel Hadara Deluxe Buckeye Burl

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by scubaduba, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Pavel Hadara Deluxe 5, buckeye burl top (w/ matching headstock, pickup covers & knob tops)
    - wenge core
    - swamp ash back
    - wenge neck
    - macassar ebony fingerboard (24 frets w/ 0 fret)
    - Pavel Signature Pickups - Aguilar OBP-3 pre (w/boost&cut for bass, mid, treble)
    - 3 way selector for EACH pickup, which is an awesome feature on this bass featuring (series humbucker/parallel humbucker/single coil)
    - push/pull active/passive switching
    - 35" scale, 24 frets 18mm string spacing (est. @ 7.5-8.5 Ibs.)
    - Hipshot Ultralight Tuners 2+3
    - Deep “Set-Neck” design with ergonomically contoured asymmetric heel
    - High mass Brass Hipshot bridge slightly recessed into the top.

This bass is the one with the famous headstock repair documented here: Forrester Kustoms Guitar Repair & Service - Guitar Repair Pics
    If you read up on the history of this bass you’ll see how impressive the repair was, and I can honestly say you'd have to do some serious close inspection to ever know it was there. It’s really that good. Sounds incredible with huge tonal variety from single coil jazz sounds to huge humbucker series sound and plenty in between.

[DEL]This is a trade feeler only. [/DEL] People have asked about a selling price so I'm adding it. Delivered to you for $2250 shipped CONUS in a Warwick heavy duty gig bag in great condition.

I'd be especially interested in a trade involving one of the following:
    Pre-Gibson Tobias Basic 5 or Classic 5
    MTD 535
    Pedulla Thunderbass ET5 Cocobolo top or AAAAA quilt maple top with Thunderguts switch
    Maybe a high end Jazz style 5 string bass
    But feel free to run what you've got by me.

I reserve the right to yank this thread down at any point. The Pavel is a seriously cool bass and amazing to play. Its just that I have a soft spot for pre-Gibson Tobias and have always wanted to own a US MTD and I desperately miss the Thunderbass I once owned.

Thanks to ModulusAcacia, Forrester Kustoms, spectorj and bolombo for the pics and description.

pavel3.

pavel1.

pavel5.

pavel4.

pavel6.

pavel2.

More pics down lower in the thread.

p1.

p2.

2. spectorj

spectorj Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2005
    West Columbia, S.C.
    Here is a bump for my old bass. Folks, this bass is a must buy at this price. Don't let the repair scare you. This neck is now stronger than it was originally I am willing to bet. This bass can do it all in my book. GLWTS.

3. What price? Am I missing it somewhere?

4. slapbass06

slapbass06

May 6, 2012
    didn't you get this bass frm a guy frm mississippi

5. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    From a guy in Mississippi? Nope. Sure didn't.

6. slapbass06

slapbass06

May 6, 2012
    Are u the orginal owner

7. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    No. See earlier in the thread.

8. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    You have this bass? I remember seeing it, looks NICE
    How do you describe the feel and tone

9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yes I sure do.

The killer option for tone configuration are the 3-way toggles for each pickup. All the way up puts both pickups in parallel. In the middle position is single coil and down is series. The middle single coil produces nice Jazz bass style tones. I love placing the bridge pickup in single coil and the neck pickup in series. Awesome finger style with oomph. Both in series produces serious bottom end.

Then you can play with the EQ for what seems like a never ending variety of tones. Put both in series and pan the pickups more to the rear. Wow!

I've owned a couple Smiths and you can quite easily get that vibe if you want. And then with the flip if a couple switches your into sweet vintage territory. Pretty much covers the whole spread. Burpy to booty. :) Modern to vintage.

The Aguilar preamp is punchy with plenty of EQ adjustment.

10. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Realized I didn't answer the part of the question about feel.
    The bass is very balanced. Either sitting or standing. I usually don't care for 35" scale. With this bass I don't notice at all. Something about body placement (how it hangs) and how fast the neck is. It accepts very low action if that's what you like (a must for me). It's not a chunky neck at all. But it's not super flat like a Pedulla Thunderbass either. Its very nice and feels "light" in my hand. You know how some basses just seem to amplify the weight of the neck? Well it's not like that here. The neck is not "in the way". Hope that description helps. The bass is pretty thin top to back so it hugs you pretty tight. Nicely contoured. Pavel really does amazing work.

11. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

Apr 25, 2008
    JAX FL
    Awesome looker, I like that the B string peg it elevated (2/3 versus common 3/2) and at 35" scale that puts it in with MTD, Modulus Q5 and other notoriously good B string basses.

12. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    p1.

p3.

p2.

p5.

p7.

p4.

p6.

13. That's an amazing looking bass, and a top knotch repair job to boot! Amazing!

Do you have any sound clips at all??

14. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Thanks! It is quite amazing. I know its easy to say, but it really is even more impressive in person. The feel is outstanding.

Wish I had a way to capture some sound clips. Sorry I don't have any. I tried to describe the tone options earlier in this thread. This thing is one of the most versatile sounding instruments I've owned to date. This is especially due to the coil tapping switches. I love the bass with neck pickup in Series (fat humbucking) and the bridge pickup in single coil (Jazz bass). Sweet finger style with more oomph. The Aggie pre is very strong. The B string is tight with that rumbling growl.

15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    TTT

16. Randy W Lopez

Randy W Lopez Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Dearborn Heights, MI
    Endorsing Artist-MESA BOOGIE
    Wish I had something else to offer you for the Pavel. Sweet bass.

17. lumpdaddy

lumpdaddy Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2011
    PM'd

18. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    PM replied

19. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Seeing some nice offers come in. But haven't solidified exactly what I'm looking for yet so I'm going to hold out for other offers. Please bring me your offers. I'm quite surprised this one is still on the block.

20. svt1233

svt1233 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    That top looks like a quesadilla

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.