1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Pavel Tzack Unlined Fretless Bass with D-Tuner, Ebony Board, Burl Walnut Top

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by subtlestew, Mar 23, 2016.

1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Price:
    $1100
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    Reluctantly for sale is the best fretless I've ever had, a Pavel Tzack. This model is Pavel's tribute to Alembic basses. On his website he says it's 32" scale; the previous owner said it's 33" - according to my measurements the actual bass splits the difference at 32.5" where the strings meet the bridge saddles all the way to the nut. In any case, it's super comfortable, and a breeze to play, with an absolutely killer neck. It has a lovely unlined board, with what appear to be abalone dots on the side at the fret positions, as is common on an unlined fretless (3,5,7,9,12 etc. fret positions.) It's a beautiful work of art with a few minor dings from player wear, but nothing too tragic - it's been used, but not abused, and it's actually stunning in person. It features an E to D tuner as well - a very useful feature I used often.

The stats:

Nut: 1.5"
    Back of body: Wenge
    Core of body: Maple
    Top of body: Burl Walnut (yummy!)
    Fretboard: Madagascar Ebony
    Pickups: Bartolini
    Pre-Amp: Aguilar
    Controls are Bass, Mid, Treble, switch for mid frequency (400/800 Hz), Blend, and a Volume pot with a push/pull for active/passive modes so a dead battery won't ruin your night. Current strings are D'Addario Chrome Flats.

Price: $1100 shipped CONUS

The price is $50 more than I paid, for the following reasons:
    I will include a beautful leather strap I bought to match the bass, with strap locks installed.
    I will include the strap lock buttons I installed on the bass (original buttons also included)
    I will include a set of medium-scale Labella Low Tension Flexible Flats that are cut to fit the bass. I had them on there for a couple of months, but I prefer the Chromes. The Labellas are great if you like low tension and want more thump.

Also, Pavel just announced on his FB page that he will be retiring at the end of the year, so this already-rare bass isn't going to be made any more. Get this piece of art now! Why am I selling? I'm not a good enough fretless player to justify 3 fretless basses, which is where I find myself at the moment. This needs to be played by someone who can make it sing.

I am located in NW Connecticut, but am in New York City from time to time.

The previous owner's thread, which has more pictures, is here. DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG .

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Photobassist and SodaCity bass like this.
  2. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Ah man that's just too Sexy!

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Nice Bass!

subtlestew likes this.
  4. JRC@1973

JRC@1973

Aug 31, 2014
    Does the price include shipping? I'm very interested.

5. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Price includes shipping to addresses in the continental US.

And, in answer to questions sent via private message, I am not interested in trades.

I'll also add that it comes with the G&G case in the photos, which is in good condition.

6. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Beautiful bass. What's the weight?

7. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    PO says 8 lbs. in his listing.

I'd say that's accurate. Not heavy! But solid.

8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Wow.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Interesting note about this model. Pavel was on the road as Yngwie's guitar tech many years ago at a time that the late Randy Coven was his bass player. Yngwie in one of his notable moments fired Pavel in Europe with no way home. Randy Coven gave Pavel the plane ticket home and the Tzack was born as an hommage not just to Alembic but to Randy Coven's Alembic

AlbertoRigoni and subtlestew like this.
  10. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    On hold.

11. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Sold and shipped!

12. AlbertoRigoni

AlbertoRigoni Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2009
    ouch! love it! Who's the lucky owner now?