1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pavel: What's the word? (now with pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Dec 4, 2006.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I just happened to be reading up on Terrance Palmer, who recently had a new bass built for him by Pavel de la Fuente. I've never been big on singlecuts before, but lately they've been catching my eye and his singlecut design (the "Aryel" model) really got my attention. Check out the gallery page... on the second page of the list, check out #11 built for Chuck Smith... wow! Terrance's is #12.

Wifey has family in Ft. Worth, so at some point we'll probably be spending an extended weekend up there in the near future. When that time comes, I'll probably take a detour to visit the Skjold shop. It might be worth it to take a second detour to check out Pavel as well just to see what he's putting out there.

So what's the scoop on Pavel's instruments? Who around here has owned or played one? As hot as his stuff looks in that gallery, I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about him around here.

2. I'd like to know more about his stuff myself. His designs look really classy, and his p-up design looks intriguing.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've played 2, both at LAG. The first was this one http://luthiersaccessgroup.com/ispavel.html

and the second was this one http://luthiersaccessgroup.com/warmoth.html

I don't remember a ton, but a few things DID stick out at me...

1. The necks on both were seriously some of the most comfortable necks I've played on; a nice "c" profile, a little more beef than a Fender Jazz, but smaller than a Precision. It's not often I put down a bass thinking to myself, "WOW! What a neck" and remember it weeks or months later.

2. The "parts" bass was absolutely flawless, playing as nice as any boutique bass I've played.

3. The custom one was near flawless, but not completely: the woodworking was top-notch, but for a bass in this price range, I thought the finish was a little spotty; not horrible, but I'd expect more out of a bass that costs as much. I suppose this is nit-picking, but for a used bass selling for $3,250...OTOH, there are some nice appointments like the quality of woods, the overall weight being fairly light considering the woods used, and the quality of the inlay, which seems like a bargain for a bass in this price range.

4. Tonally, both basses were very flexible, and very full sounding.

Overall, I'm very impressed with his work.

4. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks... anyone else?

5. RAM-

Those two basses are nice, but I've seen some others that make those basses look like they were made from scrap wood!

To be honest, for as nice as his stuff looks, I'm quite suprised that nobody here has more to say about them. There's a lot more talk about many lesser builders. For the most part, if something looks really classy, chances are that a TBer knows quite a bit about them.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Here are a couple of shots of Chuck Smith's bass...

Attached Files:

8. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    ...and Terrance Palmer's...

Attached Files:

9. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    ...a "Hadara" Model for Ken Friend...

Attached Files:

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    ...and his tribute to Alembic, the Tzack model.

Attached Files:

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  12. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hmm, I guess nobody else is interested.

13. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    I get excited every time I see that shot of Terrance Palmer in one of the Bass Player mags that came out recently with his Pavel. I don't know much about them thou but what I do know is that I wouldn't mind getting one.

14. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, GHS Strings
    If you go to Frank Cheatham's myspace site at http://www.myspace.com/franksfellowship you can hear his 6 string Pavel Aryel on the tune I Just Wanna Play my Aryel. Very nice tone and playing.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    There was a nice six on eBay about a month ago for what I thought was an excellent price. Didn't pull the trigger. IIRC it was in VA. I didn't even think about Frank, maybe it was one of his?

16. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I really dig his work, I hope I can try out one, they look superb.

17. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    Wassup brother? How's everything? I know I'm awfully late in this response but I forgot about TalkBass for a minute! My apologies to the guys at TalkBass(haha).

Pavel is a genius!! I saw a post about how comfortable his necks are...imagine having the neck custom fitted for your hands? I'm getting my second one in a few months and it's neck profile is matched to fit my U.S. Lakland 55-94 bass,arguably some of the best necks on the market!

His pickups are incredible and the overall craftsmanship is top-notch! The reason he doesn't get as much pub is because you can't find his basses in stores but there are a few emerging top professionals using them.

1.J.J. Smith(Mary J Blige)
    2.Terrance Palmer(Israel Houghton)
    3.Maurice Fitzgerald(CeCe Winans)
    4.Adam Johnson(Stephanie Mills)

the list is slowly but surely growing.

Check out this website if you haven't already...these are the preamps Pavel is starting to use in his basses.They're custom voiced to his pickups! www.audereaudio.com

I just recorded with my Pavel Jazz Pro yesterday and I'll post the tracks on my site soon as I get the copy of the cd.You can check out some of my pics at www.myspace.com/groove4life

Peace,

Jackie Clark

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Frank AND the Pavel sound great! Frank is a great guy and I am impressed with how his playing is just getting better and better!
    I have not heard a Pavel but have been very intrigued. Spoke to him on the phone and it was as if he had known me all his life- he is a beautiful cat with a wonderful testimony as well. Man, makes me wanna go practice and lay something down!

19. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Delicious!

20. greenbass

greenbass

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Terrance Palmer's latest addition. The Aryel "TP" Artist Series 6.