1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pawn Shop Mustang or Geddy Lee?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonaut413, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Dragonaut413

Dragonaut413

Mar 1, 2013
    Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to playing bass (a year and a half or so) and am looking to play mostly heavy psychedelic rock. I've had a couple of cheap Epiphones and have not been pleased with them. I'm looking to get a new bass soon. I was thinking of the Pawn shop Mustang because it's a short scale and I have pretty small hands. The Geddy Lee one looks nice too though with the slimmer neck and seems to get good reviews. Not sure which one I should get so I figured I would ask you guys. Also if anyone has either of these basses for sale please let me know.. Thanks-Joe

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Apples are nice, but I prefer oranges, myself.... along with Geddy Lee jazz basses.

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Do you have a chance to try before you buy?

What epiphones did you have? What didn't you like?

If you have smaller hands I would certainly recommend considering a short scale. However, to some ears they can sound weaker than long scale basses, so it's worth checking you're happy with the sound.

If playing heavy psych rock - I hope you're going to get some effects too!

4. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Don't underestimate your hands. Muscles will learn how to fret on a regular scale bass. I have smaller hands, can do a full four fret stretch in 1st position, which would not be considered proper technique, but whatever. I don't think you need to base your decision on what bass to get just because you have smaller hands.

What you should look for is what sounds good to your ear, compare what some of your favorites might be using and think about whether or not that might fulfill your goals for sound.I'm guessing that Sleep is probably high on your list based on your user name and music interests. Al used Rics, and Lemmy is a Ric man as well and he used to play in Hawkwind they can be pretty pricey and used prices aren't much better.

Now for heavy psych rock you can get just about any bass to work in my opinion and the reason I say that is because the signal usually gets some pretty heavy effects gong, a little chorus here, some fuzz there, and oh should start playing with the wah pedal now... :D So you may need to consider that in your decision as well, and that is a whole other can of worms.

All that aside though, what sounds good, feels good, and really gets your eye is what matters in the end. Those things will make you want to play more. So get out there and mess around at GC and find some mom and pop shops around or local music chain that has some brands other than Fender, Ibanez, Schecter, and Ernie Ball (GC staples). /ramble

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I have small hands too and you can adapt. I personally always would go with a 34" scale; the Geddy is a nice bass. Just preference though.

6. I have a GED and it is my most played bass, followed by my MIM precision.
    The GED has a super comfy neck and is super versatile, after all it is a jazz bass. The precision is something else entirely. I love the neck, though it is chunky, even though I have pretty small hands too. It's not as comfortable to play some lines, but the tone is there and that's what's crucial to me.

I'm heavily looking at the Deluxe precision as I am a total boner for the PJ setup.

7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Between those two instruments, I'd pick the Pawn Shop Mustang.

Why? Heavy Psychedelic Rock makes me think of woofy bass - Cream and Iron Butterfly in particular - something the Mustang with the mudbucker excels at. The Geddy, which is a fine bass, would be a very different tone for that type of music - more snappy and bright.

Plus what you don't get in the thin neck of the Geddy, you get in instrument scale on the Mustang, being you are a guitarist furthering yourself into bass.