1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pawn Shop Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    So I went stumbling through my normal pawn shop rounds, I have few regular stopping grounds where I find some good stuff. I went into one, literally a five minute walk from where I live and I find a unique looking Peavey Patriot, or at least thats what it is labeled.

(sorry about the cell phone pic. also dont mind the cort, i was eyeballing that one too. :p)
    2011-06-06125945.

According to the serial its a 1985 Peavey Patriot Jazz Bass, or at least the neck is. The body doesnt scream "Peavey" to me. The neck isnt even all the way into the pocket, there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the heel and the body.

2011-06-06130021.

Im almost thinking the body isnt a Peavey, but then again I am no expert. It also has one Grover tuner, and the other 3 appear to be original.

2011-06-06130010.

2011-06-06130101.

2011-06-06125953.

The body is pretty "road worn", the neck is gouged, there is a piece of copper on the front of the body going from the pickup to the bridge (my guess a ground), the mis matched tuner, the missing knob, and the gap between the neck heel and body. After all this they want $250. Pawn shops, especially this one, mark them high. Even some of the broken squiers they have hanging up were marked for a new one. I made an offer of $150 and pointed out the repairs needed for it. I know the owner, he kinda shook his head and said "come back on Friday when you get paid and we will talk". So my Peavey experts, what would something like this be worth. Honestly I have been gassing a new jazz and this one yelled out "buy me!"

Talk to me Talkbass.

Here is a link to the photo album: peavey jazz pictures by Gordo2008 - Photobucket
    the cort bass is actually pretty cool too. metallic orange, plus a micro tilt neck. they want $129 IIRC, tempted on doing a combo deal on the two.

-Gordoh

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Looks like a peavey neck on a fernandes j body

3. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Peavey neck alright but not a Peavey body.

4. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Definitely not a Patriot body....or even a Peavey body, that I am at all familiar with.

Patriots had the very pointy horns that lots of Peaveys have.

What I am really curious about is that extra pickguard screw in front of the pup...perhaps added later due to the pickguard not sitting right (maybe warped)....talk about screwing in the wrong place :)

5. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    that was my thought too. i didnt tell the owner that, didnt want to show all my cards.
    it reminded me of a MIM body. but im not sure.

6. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    That body looks just like my 1993 MIJ Fender Jazz, including the bridge grounding strap and the pickguard notches & screws. I will post a few pics.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You'd be better off buying an SX bass with that money.

8. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I disagree. This looks like a pretty cool buy.

9. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    93 MIJ Fender Jazz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Wow...what's the deal with the slanty ground strip...???

...what the heck were they smoking when they thought that was the way to go with it?

...well...I'm sure some think it looks good....to me it looks like a big gouge or mega scratch.

(my opinion only)...other than that, the bass is is gorgeous....but for me, that strip kills it completely.

11. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Everything on it is fixable. I think its a fender body though...
    I think is $150 a solid offer.

12. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    I have a MIJ jazz bass from about '96 in black and it looks identical to this body.

13. Top offer $150. Buy an MIJ unlined fretless neck-done. Find a Peavy body for the existing neck (or check with Guitar Mill etc. to cut you a p body to fit-done. Two players for little dinero.

14. Definitely not a Peavey body. Clearly a parts bass, and unknown origin on the body. A complete Patriot in good condition can typically be found for around $150 to $200. The necks alone are about half that. The loaded body can probably go for around $100, and the individual tuners might pull $5 to $10 dollars a-piece. If you are looking to turn it around you probably won't make much more than the $150, and your best chance is to part it out. I would pass as an investment. However, if it is playable and fits your personal needs(wide neck jazz) it is probably worth it.

15. Personally I wouldn't waste my time. It's definitely a parts bass, and selling the parts separately would be more trouble than it's worth. If it was $50, maybe.

16. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I totally agree. This isn't a Fender (or Fernandes?) OR a Peavey, it's a set of parts from both. As someone who really likes the Peaveys that I've played, I'd say just get an actual Patriot for about $200 if you like bright tone or a used MIM Jazz for about the same price. This is neither.

17. If thats fender MIJ , it would be easy to sale the loaded body here for 200$ , after shipping if you got it for 150$ it owul dbe like getting the peavey part free. Thats not a peavey body for sure.

18. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Parting it out might be a possibility but how could you be sure it was a genuine Fender body and not a very close knock-off? Does anyone know?

19. You would need to pull it apart to prove its for sure fender but there are many things that point to it being a fender body.

20. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

it looks like a frankencaster...

DEFINATELY not a patriot.

who knows.. it could be a fender or an SX... not something I'd waste time..

my experience is that care and consideration isn't used on how to mate a mismated body/neck together... many times this makes the neck have 8 holes too close together to work.. heck I've found thm put togehter with drywall screws