1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pawn Shop Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Jun 6, 2011.

1. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i265/Gordo2008/peavey jazz/2011-06-06130021.jpg

Didn't see if anyone brought this up in the previous posts.

The strings seems to be leaning to the G side?
    Almost looks like the G string could very easily miss the neck if pulled just slighly downward.

Also, make sure that neck is straight and trussrod is functional. I had some bad experiences with pawn shop basses.

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

after looking closer.. the body has hints of basketcase... like someone noted the grounding wire and lack of knob.

I'd value it about $50 tops

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1 on the $50 value. Not a penny more.

4. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Good call....that being a pretty major reason not to drop $150 on it, that can be a fairly big issue, and that alone would eventually drive me nuts.

Personally I would just pass on it...$150 might buy you something slightly better at a different pawn shop.

5. toddLURR

toddLURR

Apr 29, 2011
    USA
    Im always checking out my local pawn shop, because the owner isn't very smart.

my buddy got a steve harris sig for four hundred, no wear, mirror pickgaurd, great buy

6. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    My thoughts exactly... in fact, you could get a lot of MIA Peaveys from that era for just a little bit more.

THIS... this is just... yeesh.

7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Curiousity is killing me right now. I actually planned on keeping it, not parting it out.
    Of course assuming everything on it works properly, but without tearing into it, who knows?
    Idk, I have a few extra items around I could knock down the cash on a trade in, maybe ill talk to him Friday.
    Ill let this simmer in my mind for a few days.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Nah. At least an SX would have the neck attached to the body, working electronics, no broken knobs, and the strings would acutally be over the fretboard.

9. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    @limaguy: good call on the strings, I didn't even notice that. The huge gap in the neck drew my attention.

@nocontrols: yes I know. I actually got a 1983 mia peavey t-45 for $100 at this same shop.

10. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    +1 on the possibility of it being a Japanese Fender body. I had a fretless that looked identical. A good indicator would be weight. Mine was basswood and light as a feather... it dinged really easily, though.

They were thinking that there was originally a gigantic chrome cover over the bridge and treble pickup that covered the grounding strip up. Early Fender Jazz basses all had them, this bass is meant to be a reissue.

11. Muzoid

Muzoid

Feb 12, 2011
    Canada!
    Ah yes, now it makes sense...."out of sight, out of mind"

12. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    See? Now you're talkin'! :D Nice!

13. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    If you want ugly, you should see some of the mutes they had hidden under there! ;)

14. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    With that big gap, you would want to take a tape measure and make sure you can get 34" from nut to bridge. If its too much, it will never intonate and will always be out of tune.

15. Personally i would only pay about 50$ as stated above.