Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pawn shop prizes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slsuby, Sep 12, 2005.

1. slsuby

slsuby

Sep 8, 2005
    Salt Lake
    Hello all, I've been stalking here for a few days and I love it here, be careful I'm a pw from way back!!!

Anyways, I guess I'm bored because I want to start hitting the pawn shops to find a project bass. I've been playing for almost ten years but I'm only on my second bass, so my bass ownership is limited. Suggestions on cheap axes is much appreciated.

2. you may want to check out rondomusic.com for SX basses. They're real cheap $ wise and qulity is good. If you don't see one you like wait they should be getting more in by the end of the month. There is also an ebay store for rondo just look up SX bass

3. slsuby

slsuby

Sep 8, 2005
    Salt Lake
    Thanks, I'm checking that out right now, but mostly I'm just looking for something to tear apart and put back together with some better guts, I guess I just need to go play some and find one that plays ok as is.

Thanks again, you da man!

J

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    If thats the case than SX basses would be a great option, alot of guys here mod thiers out. I had mine moddes by TB member Hambone. He did a sick job. If you wanna see more then heres the link It was done up to be like the Fender Steve Harris signature bass. I love this damn thing, looks great, plays great, sounds even better. Its currently my #1 gig bass.

5. slsuby

slsuby

Sep 8, 2005
    Salt Lake
    Gotcha, nice link, thanks again, my friend. Now I'm gonna have to consider this, although I'm not a metal player I'm guessing by using a different pickup configuration I can get a different sound. Although I'm a believer that most of what we hear comes from our hands ;) Thanks, I'm gonna start work on this.

So I'll skip right to part two, what are some good sources for bass parts such as pickups etc. To tell the truth my local guitar shop is just that, he stocks some great basses but not many parts and I'm not really of fan of Musician's Fiend or what-not.

Your help is much appreciated and will be returned somehow, someway, someday.

J

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    oh belive me its not just a metal sound. Its your typical p-bass, just with a more aggressive pickup. I think what makes it Metal is that its real heavy duty with all those steel inserts and what not. I use it for my Jazz ensamble as well, it covers a broad range of tones that work for just about anything.

as far as online parts places, allparts.com and basspartsresource.com are pretty good, warmoth has some good stuff too.

7. Edword

Edword

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I found a Jay Turser Beatle bass copy at a pawn shop while looking for cheap amps. It plays and sounds good, and was inexpensive.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  9. slsuby

slsuby

Sep 8, 2005
    Salt Lake
    Thanks again, this place is great!!!! I'll keep you posted.
    :bassist: