Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pawn shop score.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Feb 1, 2006.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

about a year ago i had an afternoon to kill. i had some business downtown and figured while there to scan the pawn shops to see what could be found.

i went into one and found an awesome old memphis p-bass copy. it sounded great but they wanted $180. that wouldn't have been such a big deal if the head stock wasn't split into the e-string tuner. pass.

the same store had an old peavey t-40. i've lusted after one of these since i heard dave riley from big black used one. they wanted $220 and i'd have gladly payed it if it weren't for the home spun "mod's."

first off someone painted it teal with what seemed like an oil based housepaint. secondly they took the black pickup mounts off and replaced them with poorly made wooden surrounds, which were crudely screwed into the body with wood screws. then they had a homemade pickguard carved out of linoleum. definite pass.

onto the next stop. a lot of guitars. nothing of note. a million squire p-basses, squire strat's and cheap bottom of the line bc rich's. old peavey combos and solid state marshalls. pass.

next: old pawn shop with amps piled by the door. big peavey bass combos, old and new. mid 90's fender solid state guitar amps. old laney head. another solid state marshall. park, squire, etc. then stacked between a mid-80's fender solid state head and an old marshall...a sunn coliseum 300. score! price? $295!

but alas, i had no money and drove home dejected. dreaming about the day i could own such an awesome amp for so cheaply.

today, i was in lower midtown. and needed to run to the bank. the closest was just on the edge of downtown. i figured while downtown i could drop in on a friend of mine at work then go scan the same old pawn shops.

same story. the sunn coliseum? still there! and now only $229! talked to the man, he said he'd let it go for $200 plus tax. checked my money...had the dough!

i'll be playing it for the first time tomorrow at and practice. i so can't wait.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Congrats!! My local pawn shop has printed recently ended eBay ads of the gear displayed with everything :meh:

Just so you know what they are all worth

3. jim primate

ha, i hate that. ruins the odds of finding a deal, but i've landed 3 old traynors for all about $180 each off ebay.

4. jim primate

ts-50b and a ts-120b. i got 'em both for about $180 a piece. i have another ts-50b i got from a tb'er in a trade for a sansamp bassdriver.

now i'm on the lookout for a monoblock. and eventually i do want to own a yba-200, a gk 800rb, a kustom 200b and matching 2x15cab, an ampeg v4b, and another sunn 2x15 cab.

i have an old sunn 4x12 cab in need of new speakers, and use a 215b p.a. cab.

i'll be combing the pawn shops for awhile.