1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pawning used gear at japan shops

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shinobi, May 9, 2010.

1. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    didn't know where to put this, so here it is

i'll be in tokyo in a couple of weeks and i was considering selling my genz shuttle to a used dealer. the local market in my country is ass, and it's tough trying to beat US prices selling it internationally, with shipping and all.

i might get ripped off, but i don't know. i do however know that brand new genz benz stuff (or anything imported for that matter) is obscenely overpriced in japan. even at a significant mark-down, it could still be worth it.

can anyone give me some advice on the 2nd hand market in japan? thanks :bassist:

2. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Note that in many cases there is a seperate 100 volt version of domestic products for the Japanese market. Look on the back of your Shuttle to see if yours was originally produced for the Japanese market (did you buy it there?), it will have a tag near the power inlet connector saying this.

In general, 115-120 volt product versions do not work well in the 100 volt market because under low line conditions and with allowable voltage drop in the mains wiring, it's not uncommon to see 88-92 volts, which is WAY below what's allowed in the domestic US market.

As a general note, this is one reason why (all) manufacturers recommend buying products through the proper distribution channels. Of the common markets, products for Japan, Australia and New Zealand have specifics in their power supply specifications that do not apply to (most) other territories. Low line is a common concern for Japan, high line is a common concern for AU and NZ. Additionally, product warranty is dependant on the country and distributor/importer arrangements and generally do not apply to product bough outside the normal distribution channels.

4. shinobi

shinobi

Nov 24, 2007
    Aichi, Japan
    thanks agedhorse, couldn't have explained it any better.

and yeah, ebay japan. are they 2nd hand dealers? :rollno: