1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pay To Audition?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    After several weeks of texting back and forth with the guy who contacted me to come try out for the bassist in a country band he is forming, this coming Sunday, it looks like it will happen. We will be meeting in a local studio, and the time is charged at a reasonable rate. I just found out today, that we (prospective band mates) will be expected to split the cost of the time! It's a small amount ($12), and that's not the issue, so I'm still going to the audition, but shouldn't he have mentioned this before? The last time I was invited to that same studio to lay down a track, there was no mention of money! The new guy responded that 'it's a new band - who's gonna pay?', and I said 'usually the band leader/organizer does!'.

Has anyone ever heard of this? First time for me!

2. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Not sure how I feel about that. It does seem weird to be in any situation where you're financing part of the "band" before there is even a band, or before you're at least part of said band. Imagine if during a job interview at a start-up company, they asked you to cover a portion of the monthly rent.

I auditioned a few months ago for a band that rents at one of the hourly studios in Chicago. The band I was auditioning for covered the cost, as I was sort of assuming they would. They made no mention of money to me, but now I'm wondering if they wanted to, but just didn't. It was a pretty poor audition anyway. I had my mind made up within the first few minutes that I wasn't really interested, so honestly, if they made a big deal about it, I probably just would have shrugged it off and told them to pound sand.

admh1972, GlennRH, eff-clef and 3 others like this.
  3. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    A new one on me!...
    Although one could borrow a room for the day, a couple of playing accomplices, set up loads of people to do a fake audition at say 15 bucks a pop...how many could you fit in.....;)

4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    Weird. Unless i was deperate for the job, i would balk at the fee. $12...that's some petty poopie right there.

5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Even though it's not a lot of dough (so why can't they/he cover it?) I'd be concerned the guy putting it together is a real hair splitter, nitpicker, & cheapskate... Maybe true, may happ not, but it would be kind of a red flag for me.

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I can see being told if you become a member you will share in the cost for future rehearsals.
    Asking you to pay to audition seems utterly stupid and disrespectful to me.

Sub300Hertz, RSBBass, Broke and 31 others like this.
  7. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    I smell a rat.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Pass

9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Nope. It's not about the $12, but the fact that the guy has no clue. I don't think it would work, cuz I DO!

10. uhhhhh. no.

MrLenny1, red_rhino, eff-clef and 3 others like this.
  11. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    As usual, I pretty much disagree with the majority of TB members....

It's perfectly acceptable to share the cost of a Studio rehearsal space. Even as a future member.

Suck it up and pay the $12. Or lug all your equipment to a free space if you can actually find one conveniently located for all members.

Sheeeesh!!

12. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    That’s exactly what I was going to say!

Sixgunn likes this.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Simply put, nope

14. Hard Pass.
    If the BL can't pay you for your time, there should be light food and beverages for your comfort and a show of goodwill and appreciation of your time at least.
    For the auditioning player to pay is absurd IMO.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. If he is trying to collect a few bucks from you when HE is putting a band together, what will he be trying to collect later?

Well stated. Red flag.

16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Me too. Nope!

BooDoggie and Sixgunn like this.
  17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    NO. If you are in the band, I can understand all members chipping in for the cost of a rehearsal space if that is needed. But you are not in the band. As you said, it's only $12. But I would say no.

Crazy_Jake, Sixgunn, mrcbass and 2 others like this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

You are auditioning. You are not responsible for any studio rental fee.

troy mcclure, hintz, Eric66 and 16 others like this.
  19. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    I have auditioned a number of times at a public rehearsal studio and never been asked to help pay for the space. I really believe that is the responsibility of the person doing the hiring.
    That kind of cheapness is an indication of things to come. I wouldn't do it.

20. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    So, what if you don't pass the audition? You get your money back from the next person they audition?

This is total amateur hour BS - person in question clearly hasn't thought this through, and doesn't want to bear the cost of auditions themselves.

I've never heard of having to pay to audition - been to plenty where a band has their own rehearsal space, and plenty more where a band has hired a space for a day at a time, and auditioned dozens of people, sequentially - until you're in the band, don't loose sight of who is buying a service, and who is selling a service.