Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Payback Time!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay folks....for anyone who has ever been made to feel like an idiot upon venturing into the "Castle" (DB forum), now's your time to take your revenge...I've been in the market for a 6 string Plank to double with in a band I joined this summer. I fell in love with a Ken Smith 6, and someday I'll own one, BUT.....when I showed it to my wife, she said, "Wow! What a beautiful bass". When I showed her the price, she just started laughing. So, in the meantime, I'm looking for something a bit cheaper :rolleyes: I'd love to have a 6 string eventually, but what I really need is a high C string to help cover some of the original "unison line" tunes that this group does.

Today I was in a local used music store and ran across a Spector NS-2000-5 that played really well. Not only that, but it was set up with a high C instead of a low B. I own two BG's already and have been playing professionally for about 17 years, but I've never spent much on a nice bass because it's always been a kind of "second instrument". Now I think it's time to move up, and I discover that I am as ignorant of which brands have a good reputation as the rawest newbie....Anyway, this Spector was listed (used) at about $600, with Hardshell Case. As far as I can tell, it's in mint condition. Is this a decent price for this model?

I should add that I prefer to buy basses that I come to like from playing them, and am very wary of buying online sight unseen. On the other hand, I don't want to get ripped off. Suggestions, anyone?

Oh, and paybacks for prior Castle DB mistreatment are welcome. Fire away! :D

2. Your venture to the "other side of the tracks" will find you in a much better neighborhood with plenty of good people ready to help.

Welcome.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Spector's QC seems to be very good so I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy one online, especially since you have played one. There is a 5 string model that sells for less, new:
    Musician's Friend

I'll leave it to the Spectorphiles to sort out the pros/cons of each model. Maybe you should change the title of the thread to reflect the Spector question.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ain't gonna happen! We, the humble people of Castle BG welcome you with open arms and a friendly attitude, free from intolerance and ignorant remarks. :D

*Huh?*

D'oh!! :oops:

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    MISS ZITS HEARLD -

Welcome to the dark side. Avoid reading JT's posts or you'll get sucked into the black hole of 7+! :eek:

If you're looking for a used 6, I just happen to know where you can find a used Spector 6 and a used Modulus Q6 ;). Both are in excellent condition and are pretty reasonably priced (the Spector is an SSD, a US model, not the Czech). PM or e-mail me for details.

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're up to it, the Yamaha TRB-6II is a very decent 6-string for the money. The neck is like an aircraft carrier landing strip, but it's surprisingly comfortable to play. QC is typical of Yamaha, ie. excellent. Street price is $1000-1300 new.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The bass that you're refering to from MF is a bolt on version.

If the used one that Chris tried is a Bolt-On also, it's TOO MUCH money. BUT if it's the Neck-Thru NS-2000, that is a good price <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=011217131954208138202199152647/search/g=bass/detail/base_id/40417">CLICK HERE</a> to see the MF ad for the Neck-Thru. It sells for $819.99 there(which is really high). I've seen them for around $789.99 & if you are a good negotiator, you could probably get it new for $700 w/out case BUT w/a warranty.

Also, if your a good negotiator, you could get the used one for a little less.

Another sugesstion is the USA Bolt-On NS-6. They retail from $2300-2500 & would probably sell for around $1500-1700.

9. If you're interested in getting a very solid 5 or 6, I would highly recommend checking out Peavey's Cirrus and/or Millenium lines. There are quite a few Peavey disciples on this side of tracks, and I am one of them.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The other add appears to be a bolt-on, too;)
    BTW I knew the link I put up was for the cheaper NS series.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Hey FITZCARALDO, how much was that Smith 6? :D

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Listed at $2500. I didn't try to bring the guy down because I wasn't even in that ballpark (I'm still paying off my DB). But someday......

I just went out the the place with the Spector, and found out that I could walk away with it for $550, including case, new strings, and a neck adjustment. I'm still thinking about it. I played it again today, and the top end sounds great. The bottom is a little muddy, but then all of the amps they have out there have crappy speakers which have been rode hard and hung up wet. I'm going to take my SWR Baby Blue out on Friday for a test drive.

Just for clarification, the bass is a neck-through with a 35" string length. The neck feels pretty blocky compared to most BG's I've played, but since I'm coming from DB that may be a good thing. Any string tension recommendations? I'm sure that my right hand technique - although rhythmically very solid timewise - is not exactly what you would call "light"...

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Cool. I just wanted to show chris both (Neck-Thru & Bolt-On) to give him an idea if he was paying too much or not. Since he just stated it's a neck thru & he can get it for $550 w/a case, I personally think it's a GREAT deal.

Good luck.

I wouldn't do that. :) A Sadowsky is in the same price range as the Smith.

14. Wait, wait, wait. Aren't you a women? If you are please e-mail me a video :D :D :D.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes. I'm 6'2", 190 lbs. with 1/8" long hair and beard, and every inch of the above is ALL WOMAN.

Still want that video? ;)

16. While I was over on ebay doing my never ending quest for the great small cab, I ran Spector through the search. No neckthrough 5s at this point, but 3 finished in the last month ranging from $455 up to $700. Sounds like you are in the ball park.

About that "mudiness". See Mike Tobias' comments on low end "definition", neckthrough vs bolt on in his article on tone:
    http://www.mtdbass.com/html/qfortone.html
    Good luck!

edit: deleted brainfart reference to B string.

17. Fretted or Fretless?

How about a nice used Pedulla 6

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    CHRIS FITZ- berald? cerald? derald? e-erald? Man, this is harder than I thought... FITZHERALD... no, that's no good... umm... ok, Bitz, cl- no... ditz! That's not really that good, though... hmm... Fritzgerald? Like on the fritz? Dammit, this is harder than I thought...

19. Yes, yes I do. :D :D :D

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How about SCHLITZ BEERBARREL ?