1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paying for non-practice time

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Skorak, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Skorak

Skorak

Oct 31, 2007
    Canada
    I have not quite seen this one, so sorry if some of these things have been discussed before. There is more than one issue here.

I joined this band with a drummer I knew from a past group. He and I get along great and have developed a great groove the more we play together. The new guys we joined (guitar and singer) are real pot heads; 4 joints a practice (drummer and I drink beer, about 4 per five hour practice once a week). It’s not my business to say who can consume what, as long as the rehearsals are productive. (And they are mostly). This band is the slowest for progress I have ever played in my 35 years of playing (age 47). We have been together for 6 months and only have 15 songs down. The last band I joined; I learned 32 in 3 weeks and pulled it off at a great hall party. Presently we have no gigs accept for my relative’s birthday party in 2 weeks. (The guys say they are not ready at all and I say it’s a free gig/jam, not to worry).
    Well, 3 months ago the guitar player/sound man (he owns the PA and re-tweaks our sound every practice) asked us all to buy “in ears”, which we did and they are great. Then asked us all to pay him $50 (U$47) a month for the use of his basement and PA. I said we can play at my house for free. He does not agree, wants his stuff close. I say it costs me $40 a month to drive to his place. He says “you can pay me 10, but you have to haul your stuff out every practice”. I hope he was not serious. Then he wants to charge us each $50 for the summer vacation time when none of us where there for 4 weeks. I asked to discuss why we have to pay when we were not there and he yells
    “I don’t want to go there, it’s still full price” and runs upstairs.
    I don’t mind paying him a little for the inconvenience of having us, (maybe $20, what is reasonable?) but insisting we pay for not being there, not being mature to discuss it and we have no paying gigs anywhere close to our future. (the singers timing seems drug induced too)
    The drummer and I think we are done with these guys after the gig. Or should I suck it up.
    Again, what would you pay a guy to practice in his house?

2. Motioneso

Motioneso

May 4, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Honestly?

That's ridiculous. Starting and pursuing to play music together is just like starting a business together. If you've got the resources to help out your partners you do it so you all can put money towards things that will further the business (band). It honestly sounds like he is not going to stick with things in the long run, especially when they start costing money. I wouldn't necessarily drop out immediately, but it would be wise to have a discussion with him about this. I could see maybe helping out with electricity, but there is no way it is even close to $200 a month for that.

If you're serious about making it work ask him if he is, if he isn't, get out. It's amazing how similar dating and doing business together are.

3. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    ROFL...I would tell him to kiss it. Hes a guitarist anyway, there are probably 30 of them waiting around the corner to join up. I mean seriously, I would love it if I could hold practice at my house, then I wouldn't have to drive an hour to get there.

Who profits off their band mates? Dude, if this guy is that strapped for cash I would worry about leaving my gear with him.

4. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I wouldn't pay anything and I would not find myself in such a situation.

You're 47 with "35 years of playing." You should already know the answer.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're offering up your place as an alternative, he can kiss off, get bent, and any other things you'd care to tell him.

6. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    +1

this guy is off his rocker.

7. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    burn his house down and steal his cats

8. kurtwash

kurtwash

May 21, 2007
    That's ridiculous. Drop this loser.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My last band rehearsed in my parents garage for 3 years, sharing a PA that we all paid for. My parents, nor I, ever expected a single dime from any band members to use the house. It sounds like this guy just plans on making money off of his own band members. get out now!

10. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    jesus - for my home rehearsal studio I went out and puchased a 10Kwatt PA, 56 Channel console, wedge monitors w/eq and seperate power amps, a monitor console, side fill cabs, mics, stands cables and snakes, a 44 track hard disk recorder, a pro cd Duplicator to make sure all musicians have their CD's so we are all on the same page for learning covers, and a kegerator for refreshment. All I ever asked of my fellow bandmates was to kick in from time to time for a new keg and to come to rehersal prepared to rehearse our show. That guy deserves a swift kick to his junk. Lose that dude.

Tell him to hug a nut.

11. Skorak

Skorak

Oct 31, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks for the kick in the butt.
    Yes, I guess I do know the answer, but was feeling cheap for not being comfortable paying. I think I mostly want to hang on just 2 more weeks so we can play my brothers birthday party. My bro really wanted me to bring my band. And my bro has been such a huge supporter of my music all my life. I did not want to let him down. I've decided to pay for these last 2 months to practice (so he does not go around town telling everyone I owe him). I'll leave after the party. (My drummer agrees). I expect to play with other gui****-ists at this party too....movin on.

Thank you everyone so much for all the input. This is a great site!

12. Don't pay him a dime, play the party, drop the stoners, go play with some ADULTS.:rolleyes:

13. Skorak

Skorak

Oct 31, 2007
    Canada
    ....peed laughing!:D

14. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I wouldn't pay him a dime, in fact I would counter-demand he pay ME for my time spent playing in his house. I'd just make up a random amount (since that's what he did) that's at least twice what he says I owe him and then go around town telling everyone that HE owes ME.

15. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I wouldn't pay him either. He wants to be in a band and if his place is a problem you've offered an alternate solution which he refuses to consider. Decorum prohibits me from posting what I'd tell him, but it does involve vulgar slang for his backside and what he can stick up it.

:rollno:

16. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    This thread is hard to take seriously. I just hope any younger players that read this understand that this is not how you play in a band and expect to be taken seriously. No wonder your band is developing slowly. Grogging on at rehearsal and smoking dope is about as unprofessional as it gets. It's all rock and roll but if you want to play together as a band, be professional in the time you spend practising, otherwise just admit that you guys are weekend warriors and aren't going to do anything seriously. You should know this at your age anyway, I'm just hoping that others get the point too.

As for band mates charging you to leave your gear at their place, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Clearly that guy is trying to profiteer from the situation. Who on earth ever does that kind of thing?

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Speaking as someone who has enjoyed more than his share of herb--tell this stupid pothead to go screw. To expect everyone to pay so he doesn't have to take any time out of his "busy" day traveling to another location is beyond ludicrous. And, the "inconvenience" of having you there??!?!? Tell him not to play in a ****ing band.

I can only imagine how this jerk would expect to split gig money.

Lose him. Quickly. If it were me, I would have peed on his rug, stolen his weed, and changed the tubes in his amp before leaving the first time he asked for money.

18. HAHAHA. Im fairly certain that I would laugh right in this guys face.

19. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    hahaha, I used to have a band I was in practice at my place until the neighbors revolted... it was great, I didn't need to drive to the studio all the damn time.

That is what the guy should get.. no need to drive to a studio... and that's it. Pay him $0.00 dude.

20. Kick him to the curb immediately. I think your brother will understand that you can't play because one of your band members is a deadbeat loser.

Or, you know, just funk it up without a guitar player.