1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paying for Rehearsal Space

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JAllerton, Aug 27, 2012.

1. JAllerton

JAllerton

Aug 27, 2012
    This has been bothering me for a while and was wondering if you guys could assist me on this very basic question.

I have found a rehearsal space that charges £20 for a 3hr session; guitar/bass amps and cables, as well as a full drum kit is also included. This is all very well and jolly, but am I correct in thinking that this cost should be spread across the band? Say if there is 5 in band and we have one rehearsal every week, each member pays £4 every week. Is this right? Should the cost of the rehearsal space be divided equally within group?

I've seen the accounting method involving equity and assets and would be a great method when up and running, but before even your first gig, who should pay the up-front costs?

I hope I have been clear and hope to hear from you guys soon,
    JAllerton.

2. Obviously everyone should share expenses such as this equally. I gather from your post that this is not the case in your situation ?

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep

4. JAllerton

JAllerton

Aug 27, 2012
    That's fine then :) Thanks for the reply. The reason why I asked was because I'm generally looking into band management etc and the question had been bugging me for days. I looked at other posts and got the feeling I was correct, but had to make sure.

Thanks guys!

5. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    www.jamhub.com

If your drummer has an electronic kit and has a room in his home that you can play in, this is the way to go. Or if the neighbors can handle hearing acoustic drums, it can still work. It will save you blokes much quid in the long term. We used to spend $400 USD a month to rent a room and now we just rehearse at the drummer's house.

6. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    if it's an "all are equal" setup then all should pay equally. if one person is calling the shots and taking on responsibility/liability and the rest are contractors that person should pay now and recoup later. no matter what (sounds like a start up) everyone should be clear on the arrangement.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There is no hard & fast, universal answer. But the general principle is that, yes, band members should agree to divide the operating cost of the band amongst themselves - at least according to some kind of logic or formula.

For example, if the band is a pure democracy, then the share of cost for each member would probably be equal. If the band has a leader, who takes double the proceeds from gigs and other revenue streams, then he might consider paying a double portion toward operating costs as well - including rehearsal space.

However, if we're talking about a solo artist with a band strictly for hire, the artist should pay all expenses - including rehearsal space.

MM

8. Well yeah, equally is referring to the income/expense ratio.

If band member #1 receives 20% of the income {as an example}
    then player #1 should also be responsible for 20% of the expenses.

Clearly this is relevant to "BAND" expenses, not personal expenses incurred as individuals.

9. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    It all depends:

Are you in a BAND or is it a bunch of guys backing an "artist". If it's a band then everyone should had equal say, equal pay, and equal responisbility. The equal pay has to be adjusted somewhat to cover gear expenses (if one guys buying the lighting or something like that) or to compensate whoever is doing the footwork for promotion or websites, but generally everyone should be getting around the same.

If it's a situation where everyone is backing a singer/songwriter type then that persion should be flipping the bill for a majority of the expenses if not all as you as "hired-help" are essentially employees. In the business world the employer has to pay the rent/mortgage on the building, not the staff. This means you don't get equal say in anything, or equal pay, but it also means that you shouldn't have the extra weight of responsibilites, unless you were hired within your contract to deal with certain issues along the way.

There is nothing with being simply the backing band but make sure everything, EVERYTHING, is in writing.

The music business is the music BUSINESS so do what you can to not let it eat you alive. I'm not trying to discourage anyone it's just amazing to me how many people forget the business part of things until after it becomes an issue.

:bag: I hope this helps.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    yes

11. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    It is for each band to decide how money gets handled; there is no "one size fits all" answer. I don't think there is enough detail in your original post for me to give an opinion.

Generally speaking if I am playing bass on someone's project (i.e. I do not hold rights to the material and/or a stake in the business) then I do not expect to pay expenses out of pocket. So if you called me up and said "hey Mush, are you free to drop by my rehearsal space and lay down some funky tracks?" I would consider it bad manners if you then hit me up for pocket change once I got there. (And as your guest I would appreciate if you provide drinks/snacks.)

YMMV depending on your age, location, genre, scene, level of commitment, etc.

12. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Four quid a week is a steal...

Forget this pay versus outlay crap!!!! All members should chip in £4, or as my band does, we have a 'band kitty', which is funded by the gigs. Practices are paid out of that so no-one gets 'short changed', or feels like they are out of pocket. But then again, I'm lucky to be in a proper democratic band.

Everyone NEEDS to practice. It should be a joy to do this, as well as the gigs. If it isn't, you ain't doing it right!!!!!

I'm still amazed that some on this forum can make a mountain out of a molehill. We let the 'business' take care of itself. The music you play is the most important thing. It IS the 'business'. For that business to flourish, you need to be better than everyone else. Hence we come full circle to..... Practice.

13. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    "Proper democratic band" is just one type of gig. A lot of players on these forums also enjoy the type of gig where you show up, play, get paid, and let someone else worry about the expenses.

We don't know much about the OP's situation, so, OP, my advice to you is to clarify the commitment/structure/goals of this musical project, because a few quid for the rehearsal space is just the tip of the iceberg for the type of expenses you will inevitably encounter. Bands need to have a clear expectation of how money flows, and there is no "one size fits all" solution for all bands.

14. unusual post...everyone in a band knows this

is the OP a bass player? or someone who wants to mananage a band?

15. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    It's been said in other similar threads that hitting up somebody for "their share" when you are auditioning them is bad manners at best and likely to give away the fact that you and your band are clueless you-know-whats ;) .

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As already stated, in a band.. .you are a band you do everything together. Including pay money.

I back certain artists, if they expected me to pay for something when I am already volunteering my time to practice/rehearse/write with them I would tell them to find a new bass player, I didn't start playing to get screwed in one more way.

On that note, I also expect artists to provide me with food, travel and accommodations when we hit the road on top of my pay. I might not have a rider but I am not interesting in spending my money to go to their gig.

Do you really have band members who are trying to screw you like that? I would re-evaluate my situation pretty quickly if I was in those shoes.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why the quotation marks around "artist"? Here in New York, we have actual artists. We don't even have to use quotation marks when we refer to them... :eyebrow:

MM

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    It all depends.
    I tend to think that if it is a 'band' with everyone writing and 'owning ' it ,all should pay.
    If it is 'your thing' with everyone basically doing as told, then it's quite alright for you to pay for it.

It all depends on how you as a band decide to run it. I do not think that there are any rules per se`.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Yep.