1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paying people who don't want money

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pklima, Oct 15, 2009.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Ever do a recording or gig with an idealist who doesn't want to get paid or asks for way too little? I once had a drummer ask for the equivalent of $33 to record drums for most of an album, I paid him but then gave him more later as "a bonus" after selling the album to a label. A year later he wised up and had a better idea of what his services were worth.

What would you do? Take the deal and run? Argue about it? I got to thinking about this because of an aside in a blog post about whether cheerleaders are underpaid:

http://www.corrupt.org/news/exploiting_cheerleaders

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I give it to their wife or girlfriend (seriously...)

Or donate to a charity... it's nutty how less philinthropic folks are once it's reality.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi,
    my good friend and band mate Paul J. Biondi founded the Musicians Emergency Medical Association.

PLEASE SEND ANY UNWANTED FUNDS TO THIS WORTHY CAUSE

as well, please feel free to fund raise for this cause

here's the mission statement -

The mission of the Musicians Emergency Medical Association (MEMA) is to help out in those times of need. When a medical emergency strikes and all other resources have been exhausted, our goal is to provide financial assistance to musicians and their families.

thanks!

http://www.memafund.org/

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There's nothing stopping you from putting that money off to the side for a while and seeing if the wind changes direction.

I'd kind of look at it as found money to play with.

"Oh, you need that $300 you turned down for the session we did last year?
    I took that money and bought an ounce of gold with it. I'll split it with you. Here's your $600."