Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paying Respects to a Hero...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Meyekul, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Last weekend my band was down in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area for a party/gig. While we were in the area, we decided we should visit the grave of Dimebag Darrell. After a little bit of searching, and some help from a local friend, we found the cemetary without much hassle.

Here are some photos we took there:

[​IMG]
    Here is the tombstone. His name isn't on it, I guess in an attempt to prevent vandalism. In front of this stone there was the grave of Darrell's mother, Carolyn Abbott (1944-1999), so I'm positive this is the correct grave site.

[​IMG]
    The first thing that struck me was the awesome etching on the tombstone. The pictures don't really do it justice, but the angel was very detailed and beautiful. You can clearly see the lipstick marks on the stone here.

[​IMG]
    I tried to get my girlfriend, Rachel, to leave a kiss for Dimebag, but she had issues with kissing granite that other women have slobbered on, so she left her favorite guitar pick instead.

[​IMG]
    Some of the donations included flowers, stuffed animals, pillows, guitar picks, drum sticks, flags, a Cowboys hat, rings, rolling papers, roaches, etc...

[​IMG]
    We had our own tribute, and left the.. remainder.. behind in one of the cups. I'm the guy in the middle here, the one on the left is the guitarist for my band, and my girlfriend is on the right.

A sad stop on our Texas trip, but its something we all wanted to do in his memory. I'm going to Ozzfest in Columbus next month and I plan to visit the Alrosa Villa nightclub where Dimebag was killed. I wanted to go up there in the days following the murder, to take part in the memorial, but I was unable to make the 6 hour trip for various reasons.

2. That's bad ass... I miss the guy. I was going to go to the memorial service but there was somewhere I had to be that day. RIP

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's a really beautiful Tombstone

RIP