1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PayPal changes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CGremlin, Feb 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CGremlin

CGremlin Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Looks like PayPal is changing their user agreement at the end of March, and raising some fees in the process: PayPal

Of particular note is this change to the user agreement as regards sellers:

We are adding a non-discouragement clause for sellers that provides:
    • In representations to your customers or in public communications, you agree not to mischaracterize PayPal as a payment method. At all of your points of sale (in whatever form), you agree not to try to dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and, if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you agree to treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered.
    Just wanted to make everyone aware, particularly sellers and those engaging in international transactions.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    "mischaracterize PP as a payment method"

Don't understand this?

Payment processing method?

murphy and PortlandBass77 like this.
  3. I don't think paypal has any way to enforce that. And with or without that clause I am still going to favor cash for any transaction as no fees are involved.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I suspect that new clause might be aimed at retailers who supposedly accept PayPal in addition to the usual plastic cards etc. I asked a store clerk how to use their PayPal option and their reply was along the lines of "We have no idea and PayPal sucks anyway. Can you just use cash or plastic?"

GregC likes this.
  5. Yay, well try reading the small print on any one of your credit cards forms,
    that'll scare the bejeebus outta ya quicker than any PayPal change.

murphy likes this.
  6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Maybe it's true? Credit cards are the devil?
    PayPal gets linked to a very close to $0 balance account in a different bank than by "bill paying" bank.
    Read their TOS and what dtripoli said.

7. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
  8. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm so confused

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Does this mean MF can't screw me out of my earned reward points anymore should I choose to use PayPal for a purchase?

10. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I dislike Paypal and I only use them as a last resort.

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Only if they agree to fix their security issues and make it smart enough to realize I'm in California and at least give the option to change the displayed language back to English from Chinese without needing to use a translator. . . which will then be converted back to Chinese when you log out and come back in . . .

I dropped them years ago. If I can't pay with cash or credit card I don't need it. Especially from a company with as poor a customer service record as PayPal "enjoy".

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Don't understand all the hate for PayPal.
    I use it all the time with no hassles or worries and only shop at online sites that use it.
    Nothing to fill out or sign up for, just sign in and pay.
    Now selling may be a different story but it's been awhile since I've done so.

13. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Do you or do not? ;)

Anyway, just rephrase it: "as a payment method" is a descriptor of PP in the sentence, not the result of mischaracterisation they want you to pledge to abstain from.
    IOW: the sentence does not mean "you agree not too say PP is a payment method, which it isn't", but "you agree not to say falsehoods about (the pros and cons of) PP as a payment method".