Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paypal cross-border fee?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by C-5KO, Jun 13, 2005.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Has anybody ever heard of a crossborder fee applied from paypal?

Joker and I are in the middle of a transaction, and they're trying to charge him an extra $20??? I've never heard of such a thing, and I've already sold a few bass through Paypal?

Are they trying to rip him off?

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Aren't there any other Canadian who can help me here?

OR has anybody in the US sold something with Paypal to somebody from another Country? This is the first time I've heard of this.

I'm sure there's somebody here who can shed some light on this mystery?

Thanks.

3. I know that paypal charges a convertion free to convert the funds from CAD to USD but I have never delt with a cross border fee

4. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

This I know. I got hit hard with it. But the seller is claiming that Paypal is trying to charge him and extra $20, which doesn't make any sense to me, because the funds have already been converted to US?

From what I understand there shouldn't be any more fees applied?

5. as I understand it yes but I have only done this a handful of times:

2 basses
    picguard
    bridge

6. also I have never gone from Canada to the US. Or sold anything, this is all as a buyer and from US to CAN.

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    That's the exact scenario.

I've purchased a bass from the US.

Paid with Paypal.

Paid all my fees on this end. (conversion, etc, etc).

We're splitting paypal fees on his end. It should only be 2.9% of the US money sent. Which is why I'm questioning this $20 extra charge.

???

Doesn't add up.

8. maybe get him to send you a screen shot listing the price breakdown?

9. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    good idea. i'm thinking maybe it's his BANK, that's trying to charge the extra $20, in which case, I don't feel responsible for paying. ie: like cashing a cheque at a Moneymart or something. The money is in his hands, how he processes it is his business.

anyways, i like to give the benefit of the doubt, so i'll wait for a screen shot and see what paypal is up to.

Thanks from a fellow Canadian.

10. no problem