Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paypal Fees Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Halftooth, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    This is probobly a dumb question, but I can't get a definitive answer...when you receive a payment, can you transfer that money to your bank account without any Paypal fees? I'm guessing you still get hit with the 3% fee but not totally sure.

2. As far as I know.....once money is in your account, withdrawl to your checking account is without any fees attatched.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Transferring to an account is free. They only charge you if you opt to have them mail a check.

4. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Thanks!

5. Yes, this is true with the personal account... it may be different with a business account.

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Interesting thread..

:)

7. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yes, this is a good point, there may be fees associated with the business membership.

8. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    That's intresting i never paid attention to the Fee.

If i buy something through paypal on an internet shop do i pay the fee or the shop pay the fee?? or maybe both of us???

9. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Here's another fee question to think about...I have a business acct through Paypal so that I can accept credit card payments, and a 2.9% fee is taken out with every payment with that acct, bu why is it that sometimes I get fees taken out and sometimes I don't? At one point, I was under the assumption that if the payment was from a balance, there wasn't any fees, but I'm finding out now that this isn't the case. Still, I can't explain why I don't get charged the 2.9% fees on some payments though, and I've read the explanation of fees on the paypal site.

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    It is possible they are using an e-check to pay for the payment, which carries a flat $5 fee instead of the 3%. I was mad having to wait on a payment a while ago, until I saw this. On a $3500 payment, it makes a heck of a difference!

11. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

12. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Not totally...I believe if you want to accept credit card payments through Paypal, you have to have the business account.

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, you need to upgrade to 'premier' account.
    Once you have premier, you pay the fee on all instant transfer payments. Echeck payments, as Tim said, still carry a flat $5 fee