Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PayPal freezes legit charity account ... anybody else shafted by PayPal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Sep 4, 2005.

1. http://theinquirer.net/?article=25915

I've read other horror stories from people who have had their accounts frozen by PayPal and then couldn't get their money without a tremendous amount of hassle.

Anybody here been screwed over by PayPal?

- Dave

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    One of my buddies bought something on Ebay, used Paypal to pay, got scammed, and Paypal refused to help him in any way get his money back.

Paypal has about $20 of mine from two years ago. I bought an Xbox game on Ebay from a guy, and Paypal determined that he'd been selling memberships to a pr0n site or something. So they froze his account and all the money in it. Since he never got my money, I never got the game. And Paypal just kept my cash and never refunded it.

I would have donated to hurricane relief through Something Awful, but I decided to donate elsewhere when I saw Paypal.

I hate them. :)

3. Paypal "accidentally" charged my checking account instead of my credit card that I had on file with them...I know how to use paypal and choose which account to withdraw money from. They wouldn't help me in anyway so I closed my account and will not use them ever again...wah!!!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I read some threads on the German ebay forum, and the people there advise to only use paypal for transactions of small sums into non-Euro countries, if at all. The (horror) stories posted there are similar to yours, Dave.

5. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    As a fellow SAer, I'm glad the word is spreading very quickly.

Can you blame paypal though? Yes and no. I'll say yes for obvious reasons, but I'll say no because from their eyes a lot of scammers are collecting up falsified donations left and right and pocketing those funds for themselves.

As for the SA servers, I'd be more than happy to put them in my datacenter, but additional services for separate lines would need to be made in order to host the services they require. Those servers get hammered pretty hard.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I never keep money in my PayPal account - as soon as I get some in I transfer it right away to my checking account. I've only used them for moderately sized transactions (nothing over $500, I think), and I don't think I would go any more than that.

7. burntgorilla

burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Belfast
    I've never really had a problem with Paypal. However, sometimes when I buy something it the money leaves my bank account pretty quickly, right now I'm waiting until the 13th of september for £8.99 to clear on Paypal...