PayPal Help Needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Old Fart, Nov 23, 2021 at 9:55 AM.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    My sister needs money. PayPal wants to charge me a 2.9% fee, despite my sister being friend/family. PayPal says there is no fee when I pay with "bank or paypal account." Paypal knows my debit card, but will not transfer money from my debit card to my PayPal account.

PayPal wants my "bank" information, and prefers that I disclose my online banking password! PayPal is simply NOT going to get my password. Another option exists where I give PayPal my routing number and account number. This is all that PayPal should need. I gave this info to PayPal. PayPal says they made two small deposits to my bank account and then withdrew them in a single withdrawl. They want me to confirm this is my account by telling them the amounts of the deposits. But.....

Those deposits never happened. It seems as if PayPal is INSISTING, and lying, in order to get my online banking password.

I think I used to be able to transfer money to my PayPal account using my debit card. Has this changed? Advice?

2. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I have had paypal for over 20 years.

if the deposits did not go through you can request they be sent again.

It is possible to get a living person on the line to assist you.

There are other services to send money, but paypal is the one I know best, it's not perfect but it can work.

fdeck, Winoman and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I now notice that the option of giving my routing number and account number (instead of giving my online banking password) "takes 2-3 business days" according to PayPal. It goes through a third party vendor. PayPal is really starting to irritate me.

Winoman and MonetBass like this.
  4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    1 (888) 221-1161

PayPal customer service

Winoman and Keyser Soze like this.
  5. ShadowGroover

ShadowGroover

Aug 16, 2020
    Wait the few days it takes to link your bank acct. Once that's done you're set.

Meanwhile, if a more urgent fund transfer is needed, simply wire transfer directly from your bank acct to hers. It's done directly through your bank. Easy peasy

Winoman, Reedt2000 and Ryan in PDX like this.
  6. Ryan in PDX

Ryan in PDX

Jan 14, 2020
    Yes, this, +1, 100%.

It's easy to forget that wire transfers are still a thing... but they are.

Your credit union or its app might take a business day or two to register the transaction. There are too many variables in the ways different institutions handle and report transactions to say "it should have shown up instantly." That's why they say "2-3 business days."

I've had zero issues since I gave PayPal my routing info. I believe the transactions showed up first thing the next morning, but that was 18 years ago, and the details are a little foggy.

7. blliB

blliB

Mar 5, 2017
    East
    I’m not a Nigerian prince or anything but send me the money, I’ll make sure it gets to your sister. Better yet, send me way more than she is asking for and I’ll make sure to return the rest to you.

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    No way around that because of the coordination required with your bank, but once you get that set up, any future transactions will much easier for you.

Ryan in PDX likes this.
  9. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

It actually sounds like you may be dealing with a bogus PayPal site. PayPal would never ask for a password, and the test transactions usually happens quickly. I agree that doing a bank transfer would be a more efficient way to go.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I know this is about PayPal but does your bank offer Zelle? I can access it through my bank's app and it's super quick and easy as long as both parties have Zelle.

mtto likes this.
  11. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I'm pretty sure this is PayPal's site. Also, after further review, it seems Venmo has similar policies and processes. A fee on "card" transactions. A 2-3 day wait for the "bank" option using routing number and account number....using a third party vendor. AND an immediate option of just disclosing my password.

12. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Paypal sucks. Whatever it was at one point is now long gone. They don't give a $#!T about you; their only concern is taking your money....

Seanto and jsf729 like this.
  13. jk_bass

jk_bass

Jun 28, 2006
    I use a throw-away bank account for paypal, there's no money in it and if I need to, I'll do a transfer.

buldog5151bass and james condino like this.
  14. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The last person I knew who set up a PayPal account did the "two deposits" thing, and it worked. There may be a delay before the bank records those transactions.

Cross my fingers, but PP has worked without a hitch for me. But for hauling money from one bank account to another, I'm finding that Zelle works fine.

15. Paypal is an amazing service and is as trustworthy as any bank. I wouldn't worry about linking your bank to them.

Seanto likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2021