Paypal lawsuit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Anyone else get this email? IT says there is a class action lawsuit. Anyone who became a member between 1999 and 2004 can be part of it? The email went into great detail. But not knowing much about it. I basicly dont understand what its all about. Anyone care to explain?
  2. I dunno, but I should tell my dad so he can get an 11 dollar check in the mail in 2 years. :oops:
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Beware of anything that directs you to a website that ask for information.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    hey, atleast it's good to know the money is on its way...

from someone walking...

from china...

yeah... it'll be a while
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I got the email too. If you are in the class as defined in the email (All Persons who opened a PayPal account during the period from October 1, 1999 through January 31, 2004) then you are eligible to make a claim to get some cash. You can make a statutory claim (basically, you didn't lose any money but you might have lost some) or two different kinds of dispute resolution claims (these are for people who actually reported an incorrect or fraudulent transaction to Paypal before February of '04).

brad cook
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I got the same e-mail and pretty much wrote it off as a scam.
  7. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I believe the email is legit.

Basically, PayPal was hit with a lawsuit alleging they did not comply with federal laws regarding account summaries, notifications, and handling. If you opened a PayPal account and had errors in your account that you had to get PayPal to fix, you can fill out the short form for a $50 settlement. If you had significant errors that cost you a lot of money, fill out the long form so they can settle with you for an appropriate amount. Lastly, if you had no errors but opened your account betwee the years they are specifying, you can fill out the statutory claim form and get a small payoff IF anything is left after the first two groups are paid.

I've not had errors but don't think I'll fill out the form since I'm not expecting much of anything to be left (once those attorney's fees are paid ;) ).
  8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I got that email as well, but my Paypal experiences have all been positive so I'm not going to join in.
  9. Thats it! I'm switching to Earthlink!
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I just got the email too. The strange thing is - for the life of me, I can't rememeber when or why I opened a paypal account. :confused: Oh well, I should register a statutory claim. Maybe I'll get a check for $0.79