1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paypal "Pending Balance" Seller Rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I've been buying and selling on Ebay since its inception around 15 years ago, and today after I sold an expensive keyboard I get a notification from Paypal that my funds are being held for 21 days. ***?! I've heard about this happening to new sellers for extra buyer protection but I've been selling for years and never had to deal with this before.

I promptly called Paypal and they really couldn't give me a reason why this was done to my account, then they transferred me to Ebay (aren't they the same company?) who also didn't know anything about it. Supposedly the funds should be available tomorrow instead of being held up for 21 days. I have a real problem about shipping a $1800 keyboard when I haven't received the money up front. Do they think I'm a big corporation and utilize Accounts Receivable?

Thanks for reading my rant, any input would be helpful.

2. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Addendum: I just received a payment from a sale outside of Ebay and the funds are available to transfer to my bank account. So it must be Ebay holding it up then?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, this is a thing that can happen, no matter how long or how many things you've sold. Think of it like escrow more than anything. You may not be "comfortable" shipping because the money isn't in your pocket, but once you get a positive feedback or Paypal sees delivery confirmation (I think those are the two primary triggers), the funds are released and you can do whatever you would like with them. You're only option to not have this happen is to basically skip eBay for selling (which, in my experience, reverb is far better anyway). It likely won't happen with all of your sales, but it can happen to any of them.

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I also sell motorcycle parts and Ebay is the best avenue for market coverage so I really can't avoid it unfortunately. Hopefully you're right and this won't happen to all of my future sales as well.

5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    If the buyer has a debit card linked to their PayPal account, isn't there a limit of $400 per day charged to the debit card in this situation? It's treated like cash withdrawals. So on a $1600 purchase it could take 4 days to get all the money.

That's my theory anyway.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ah, shucks. I've stopped selling on eBay, but back when they first implemented it, I got "hit" with the "pending" crap about one out of every 10 or so sells. If I recall correctly, I did at least get an email from either eBay or PayPal saying something along the lines of "It is safe to ship now", even though they were pending.

Not all debt cards have that limitation - it depends on the bank that backs it.

7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i had the same thing happen once last year. as soon as the buyer gave me a positive feedback the funds became available.

8. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Were you an established seller at the time?

9. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just had another Ebay sale and this one is also being held up (much smaller dollar amount) so this isn't pertaining to just one transaction.

10. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    What eBay SHOULD do is note WHEN your payment will be held up BEFORE the sale.

11. It's 'up to 21 days' which usually means translates to 1 week after the item is shipped... ebay has had this policy since I started using it a year ago. I guess I don't mind it as much as I knew about it before I started.