1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paypal questions (moderators, move if appropriate)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob C, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I've bought things on eBay using Paypal. Never had a problem. Now I've listed some bass gear for sale on craigslist. I got a response from someone out of state who asked if I take Paypal.

I'm new at this. I know the buyer has more to lose, in terms of sending out money and not receiving the goods. But is there a danger that my bank account could be hacked? Other than getting the potential buyer's phone number and shipping to a confirmed address, are there any obvious questions I should ask him?

I know Paypal is built around safety and security. But there are always exceptions, right?

2. paypal is always more friendly to the buyer than the seller.
    if they don't like the product, they can open a case with Paypal, and Paypal will take back the money until the case is "resolved" which could be never.
    Don't do it.
    Craigslist ? Cash only.

nixdad likes this.
  3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    How long does Paypal hold the funds?

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The guy might be legit, if you do go through with make it very clear with wording and pictures as to what you are selling him. Also ensure to use nothing but tracked shipping (with signature), only to his confirmed address. If the funds are held for some reason, it can happen with paypal, do not ship anything until the funds are clear. No exceptions.

I don't see how it is any different than TB classifieds except for on CL you will have no recourse of tracking the guy down.

5. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    I've bought and sold on CL like that. I always spoke with the person on the phone first though.

6. I have had very good luck with PayPal.

The only time I ever got burned was as a buyer from eBay - and this was more an eBay issue than PayPal. The Ebay description was vague so I asked questions and the seller answered my questions (dishonestly) in private email rather than in ebay email. So when the product didn't match what he told me in private email, I opened a PayPal/eBay dispute but since the emails and the incorrect info was not in the eBay ad, they sided with the seller (who promptly gave me negative feedback in addition to ripping me off).

But in all my other buying/selling experiences, I've found PayPal to be very good. As a seller you are safer to ship to the PayPal verified address and ship with a method that is trackable so you can prove they received it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. I've done Paypal with local transactions on kijiji, even when meeting the guy in person. Its all about the convenience, some people just prefer to go electronic over using cash. I tend to think that most people are reasonably trustworthy, although confidence on that is a lot higher here on TB. I just had an idiot burn me on a kijiji deal today, actually, but I still like to think positive and not discount the 99 good deals because one went bad.

In general, I agree with the above that usually money has to clear before bass is shipped. It always depends upon the specific transaction and buyer/seller, as I've done deals where this isn't the case, but usually that's the way that makes the most sense. Then I think of that poor guy from the other thread who was scammed out of $4500 because he sent money first ahead of confirmation of shipping. There are always risks on both sides. Just be cautious and do reasonable things to make sure people are legit. I always ask for things like ebay handles and proof of positive transaction history, etc.

8. I have both bought and sold using PayPal. As a buyer it is fine, but as a seller, big hassle if the buyer is not on the up and up. They will hold your money for up to 90 days. Plus the fact they you will pay a hefty fee to PayPal. Use a bank transfer if this is an overseas sale. The money goes directly into your bank account then you ship the item. If it is a domestic sale then a face to face cash transaction is best. Be wary of any one on Craigslist as it is scam central. Don't give out an email. Only a phone number. Some scammers will still email you asking a stupid question like "is it still for sale". Do not respond. They will take your email and hack into it. This happened to me twice. Now when I post on Craigslist I don't even list an email. Only a phone number.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Craigslist has been good to me for the most part, but it's too sketchy for anything but face to face cash only deals. I've had all manner of scam attempts attempted on me as both buyer and seller on CL. Everything from "I'm sending you a money order for 4 times the price and then my agent will come by and collect my item and the extra money." to "Go ahead and send the money but I can't send your item until after I use it one last time this sunday in my church band."

If you are not going to deal locally, use ebay. At least you have some chance of prevailing over a long distance scammer there.