1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paypal Rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MaddAnthony_59, Apr 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I Love Paypal!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  2. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I dumped PayPal years ago. It was because of this and other problems. I have friends that used to do a lot of internet selling that have also opted out of paypal, and eBay. (yes, I know your post is not about ebay).

I think it would be fun to put "making a bomb" in the comments of ALL transactions and when they ask, just say it's an inside joke and to shut up.

3. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I'm sure being that rude will really help your situation.

And what does being in the Navy 24 years ago have to do with PayPal?

line6man, galonso, FunkHead and 3 others like this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You didn't happen to use the no fee "Friends and Family" option, did you?

5. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    Actually, though it may not help (or hurt) his particular situation, it is important for companies to suffer some sort of customer push-back for this sort of thing if it is to stop. Simply complying politely gives them a pass. It doesn't help in the big picture. It hurts.

6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    I've actually had plenty of emails from PayPal saying their was strange activity (or something similar) on my account. Ignored it and it went away. No need to be an A Hole and no need to say "oh hey I'm a veteran so you should be nicer to me"!

blastbass and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  7. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    I'd guess PayPal thought "MEC 3-Band" is a firearm.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

9. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I agree about the veteran remark.

I also am not an "a-hole" to anyone. I go more into Mr. Spock mode. It's been my MO for decades. I did learn in retail and dealing with retailers that when you are being treated in a way that you deem inappropriate, it is best to not simply comply. But I'm also one, that when given bad food or service at a restaurant, will simply smile and quietly think, "we just won't eat here any more."

This is what I, and a few of my friends have done regarding Paypal. Now, if it was the only restaurant in town, my strategy would change. ;)

RickyT likes this.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    My mommy always told me I'd catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Or was it bees... No, bees make honey. I don't think it was vinegar either. Anyone remember what it was my mommy used to tell me? I think it applies here.

11. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Always wear clean underwear in case you get into an accident?

Don't forget to wash behind your ears?

The early bird catches the worm?

PortlandBass77 and Joe Nerve like this.
  12. Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

Words to live by.

13. ptg

ptg

Mar 16, 2008
    My friends and I always pepper our phone conversations with phrases such as, " Did you see that movie last night? It was the bomb!" and "Jim's new kid is crazy; he's such a terror!"

We always image the headphones popping off the heads of the NSA agents.

And, to get back on topic, I really dislike PayPal as well and use them as sparingly as possible.

14. D M C

D M C Oh good god, this again? Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2015
    North America, Earth
    On the threshold of a verge on the brink.
    Mom: Don't be a wiseacre Joe Nerve

Mom always used to call you that when she was mad at you.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  15. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    If she is anything like my Mom, she would have said "Joseph Nerve!!"

D M C likes this.
  16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I closed my PayPal account because of a transaction here in the TB classifieds. Long story short: I think PayPal is a lot more vulnerable to hackers than they claim to be, and have poorly trained employees.

17. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    That more accurately reflects my perspective. I have around $12 in my paypal account, and have not used it for four years, at least.

18. Robroy

Robroy

Jun 21, 2006
    Central Kentucky
    I noticed "Warwick" has the word "War" in it. I think you dodged a bullet by leaving it out of your description. :D

19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

eat your tnc

20. I agree that it's important for companies to get feedback on their policies, and I'm one of those who will provide it. However, it should be businesslike, specific, and there should be an explanation of the problem prompting the feedback.

As a result, problems that I bring to the company's attention are usually dealt with promptly. I keep in mind that the employees didn't create the policies, they just have to enforce them. As a result, I find they are often frustrated with the policy and pretty understanding. Pissing them off generally is not a way to expedite resolution of your problem.

The OP's post is perhaps understandable, but it's neither productive nor appropriate in tone.