1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paypal strikes again... not in a good way.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gustobassman, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    How does Paypal get away with this crap? I'm pretty upset about this one, but I'm gonna say lesson learned. Rant below...

So I purchased a bass from the classifieds on saturday and in my G.A.S. induced haze I accidentally sent $1900 instead of the agreed upon $1850. The seller was kind enough to deny the payment and have me resend the $1850. Before I resent the correct amount, I got an email from Paypal saying that the $1900 payment was "denied" and that the payment was "not processed" and I was not charged. I also had a "refund" listed in my paypal account for the $1900. I resent the correct amount amount and contacted my bank to let them know I sent an incorrect amount. They said they had seen no charge for $1900, but the $1850 was there.

That brings us to this morning. Not only was I charged $1850- Paypal also charged me $1900 for the "denied", "not processed" payment. The bank says to call Paypal. After 40 minutes on hold a Paypal Supervisor tells me in his best condescending voice that even though the seller "denied" the payment it was still processed the minute I clicked send, regardless of whether the seller accepted the payment or not. Meaning that I'm out the $1900 until "Paypal's process puts the refund back in my Paypal account". So, now it's 5 days I have to wait for that just to get back into my Paypal account.. and then the 2-3 days it takes afterwards to show up in my bank. I pressed the guy as to why they would send an email stating that I was not charged and that the transaction was not processed when in actuality it was. He just said "you have to wait for the refund process, It's a bank issue".... so you can take my money right then and there, but not give it back when the payment was denied??? And I was sent an email that clearly states the "transaction was NOT completed"?? Maybe it's my fault and I didn't read the fine print but this seems ridiculous.

Long story short my bank said it's useless to have them open a dispute, it would take much longer to get my money back than to wait for the refund. Point of the story is if someone overpays you- just send them money back, don't deny the payment. A "denied" payment is not "denied" at all.

MattZilla, Scatabrain and s0c9 like this.
  2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    All these customer "protections" are in place to prevent fraud/scams.. and there's plenty out there.
    The downside is the legit guys get impacted ...
    I'd guess the seller had no clue to the impact of denying the payment..
    Thanks for the heads up!

Scatabrain likes this.
  3. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    To be fair, the dude is right. The money withdraws immediately but there is nothing PayPal could do to put that money straight back without your bank processing it through. Normally it only takes 2-3 business days though. I work in a call center (surprisingly sweet gig, most customers are cool) and see this kind of thing all the time. Blame goes to the bank for sure, although receiving an email stating otherwise sucks. Sorry about the situation and props to the seller for not taking more than was agreed.

4. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo

It's not my bank that's the problem. My problem is with Paypal. The email they sent me is 100% different than what I was told over the phone by the supervisor. The whole "payment denied", and "transaction not processed" stuff is what gets me upset. I'm out $1900 for 8 days after I was told nothing went through. Denied. Not processed. Now I have to wait 5 days just for it to come back to my PP account. They've got a pretty good racket going.

5. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I bought an amp in the classifieds here back in December. The seller sent me the wrong email address to process the payment. PayPal still charged my account even though the email address was not a valid PayPal account email.

I had to resend payment again the next day after the seller notified me of the typo. I too was out double my money for a few days until the money went back in my paypal account.

I don't get it either, there should be no reason in this digital age that your money is taken from you in an instant but if you need a refund it can take up to a week to be put back in your account.

gustobassman likes this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    So the only way to avoid any delay is if the seller had taken the over payment and then done a separate transaction with a refund?

Sounds like they are conditioning us to deal with Nigerian Princes...

7. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    From what happened to me, that sounds right.

I gotta admit it didn't go over well with Mrs. Bassman either :facepalm:

8. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    Of course paypal does this as much as they can. The longer they have your money the more they make off it.

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Once paid a vet bill with a VISA check card and the vet accidently ran it for $1200 instead of $120. She caught it right away and cancelled the transaction, but not before my bank pulled some $800 from savings to cover the overdraft. Wheni found out (the next day) what happened i called the bank to find out why i was charged $40 for overdraft protection and why did my account not show the money pulled from savings in either account. LSS it took the bank 7 days before our money reappeared and we were still charged a bogus overdraft fee. I went to the bank and gave them a choice of refunding the fee or closing our accounts. They gave us the fee back.

Point being, banks are the culprits in delays involving refunds for transfer mistakes.

Just be glad someone didn't try to charge you a restocking fee on your money.

10. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    After performing the same series of clicks for 3 years, PayPal changed my default account and $3k came out of my savings account rather than the credit card. Sort of my fault, but PayPal not exactly an innocent bystander. No worries, should be an easy fix: reverse, take the cash out of the correct account and then home for tea and scones. Called PayPal to correct it, they were total twats about it, wouldn't do a thing. I hung up, called my bank, who cancelled the payment immediately. I made another payment, this time from my credit card. 24hrs later, I get a call from a PayPal manger, begging me to deposit funds because PayPal had already paid the first lot of funds to the merchant.

I knew this because the merchant was my body corporate who called me wondering why I'd paid twice. I told the PayPal geezer that I'd pay him once my body corporate's refund cheque had been processed, issued, deposited and cleared. About 12 weeks in all. Well, never had I heard such bleating in all my days, made all the funnier because it was impotent. Don't mess with me and my bank, they're on my side.

I made it perfectly clear that I was giving them precisely as much effort as they gave me. I could have speeded it up a bit, but Schadenfreude makes me cruel.

11. Love it!

12. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Not that I needed further convincing, but stories like this give me even more resolve to never, ever use PayPal, either as a purchaser or a seller. And I no longer have anything to do with eBay. :sorry:

M. M.