Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paypal sucks...kinda! And Craigslist!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 20, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, I get bored, I look around to see what's on sale. As an impulse buyer, I have my credit card hooked up to Paypal, so I can C/C individuals, I'm in debt and I just bought another pedal because it's soo easy! There's little to no thinking, I make a decision, follow through, then five minutes after the initial reaction, I have a new piece of gear!

In recent times I've bought:
    MXR Bass DI
    EHX English Muff'n
    EHX Big Muff
    MIM Jazz Bass

and these are all without thought. Don't even ask about what I contemplated.

2. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Get engaged. Then your impulse buying will slow way down. :)

Jake

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    No kidding! I have bought so much gear lately I think my wife is going to kill me!

4. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    LoL I still buy and sell a lot on the quest for the perfect gear, but I know that if I was single, instead of a couple basses, I'd probably have at least 10, and instead of a single head, I'd prolly own 3 or 4. I'd have lots of cabs, and expensive ones too! I'd also drive a nice car, live in a nice apartment or house, and I'd have a dog.

Instead, I have a fiance. :) We live with her parents, I JUST got a better car, so check that off the list. No dog (no pets at this place). I've had to pass up some ridiculously good buys on gear because "we can't afford it". No, you mean you'll be able to eat at a nice restaurant only 3 times a week instead of 4 or 5 for a while. It's not that "we" can't afford it. It's that "my" money could be better spent buying "you" the things you want.

LoL :)

Jake

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    LOL.

Women=evil.

:bag:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    No, women are not evil. Women are expensive though. When you get married, you are marrying a bill. I don't mean that disrespectfully, but it is true. Since I have been married, I have bought and paid for things I never would have as a single dude.....tampons, Vivarin, fancy shampoo, nylons, blouses, skirts, high heels, you get the point. When you get to the point where you can watch your money being spent on these things without being mad, then you are with the woman you love.

Back to the subject......I don't use PayPal much. I do love craigslist though. I sell more than I buy. It's amazing what people will buy these days. I also do alot of trading with people.

-Mike

7. HamOnTheCob

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Fair enough. But how about this too...

When you get to the point where you can buy a bass you CAN afford without your fiance giving you "the look", THAT is when she is with the man she loves. I think my fiance should shop around for another guy. LoL

Jake

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yeah, that is a good point for the woman's side. I have never got "the look" from my wife when I get something bass related. Well, the one time I did get "the look" was when I bought my first bass. My wife was only concerned about my dedication. She thought maybe I was buying it on a whim.

-Mike

9. :eek: HOLY COW!!! :eek:

I mean, I've been married 17+ years, and my wife picks my clothes out for me... but high heels and skirts?! YIKES!!!

We all do things in the name of love, but I'd draw the line at tampons. Don't even wanna know where ya put it.

;)

:D

Bob