1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paypal woes - thoughts and questions .... and a rant !!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Kelly robinson, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Kelly robinson

Kelly robinson

Dec 30, 2014
    Hi all -
    I recently had a mini nightmare with a small Paypal transaction done thru here that has shaken my desire to use Paypal at all if I can avoid it . I wonder if others of you have similar troubles ? I sent 55$ to a TB member thru Paypal in late Dec . I wrote in a Yahoo address as specified by the seller . He got back to me wondering where his money was . I looked up the transaction and found Paypal had forwarded the payment to another address entirely - a similar name for sure but not a Yahoo address at all . So I called Paypal and explained my concern and filed a claim with them . I wrote the seller and relayed my concern and told him what Paypal had told me - i.e. that the non Yahoo address was his main address after all . He said he only had one address and would look into it from his side . So I wrote the person at the address that had received the money and explained the mix- up . I called Paypal again . I got the same two addresses - one guy story .
    At this point I didn't know who or what to believe . The seller had good feedback and seemed legitimately concerned and was very willing to email me to help out . He even tried setting up a conference call with Paypal to facilitate my getting a refund . A week goes by and I get a letter from Paypal saying my claim had been denied . So I call them again . I tell the rep the whole story and they say - no worries - letter was sent by mistake - the claim is still open after all . They still insist the two addresses belong to the seller though but I shouldn't be concerned as I will no doubt get a refund after the ten day claim period is up .
    This week late I get an email back from the recipient of the money - saying he has no idea why I sent him any money and now his seldom used Paypal account is frozen . He wants to know what to do . I tell him the full story again and suggest he call Paypal to straighten it out from his end . Yesterday I get a notice from Paypal saying that my claim has officially been rejected yet again . So I try calling but the offices are closed till Mon . I email the seller and let him know and he's nice enough to call me yesterday afternoon to express his sympathy . All along he has been holding the item for me - waiting for me to get refunded so we can try the sale again . Very kind of him for sure - all around .
    This morning I get an email back from the recipient saying he has refunded the money - and one from Paypal confirming it . So all is well after all but I truly feel violated by Paypal . I spent literally hours - trying to get this mess straightened out . I have a spotless record on Paypal - this was my first claim ever and a 100% rating both here and on Ebay and yet I was treated very poorly by Paypal . Now I will avoid using Paypal as much as I possibly can and am hoping nobody else has these same troubles . I realize it was not a large sum at all but I was certainly , not going to let it go unchallenged . What irks me the most is Paypal's repeated insistence that the two addresses belonged the same person . When I brought up the possibility that there had been a mistake made on their end - they said that wasn't possible . I said but couldn't someone have hacked the seller's account and added the second address to be able to access the seller's bank etc - they said no way but that was after a short pause where I could hear the rep's hesitation as if it wasn't completely out of the question .
    I guess the bottom line for me is - I will attempt to avoid using Paypal as much as I possibly can . I hope that those of you who sell here will also be more open to accepting other forms of payment such as USPS money orders - meeting up in person where possible etc . Sorry for the long rant ! LOL ... Kelly

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i feel for you: sounds like a nightmare!

but: how many successful paypal transactions have you made before this unfortunate experience? statistically: it's not likely to happen again. just sayin'. ;)

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Is there any chance that when you typed in the email address of the seller, that your computer auto-corrected it to an address it recognized? Or something like that.

I have had a couple times where buyers paid from a different address than the one I billed to, but that’s under their control, not PayPal’s.

bolophonic likes this.
  4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas