Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PayPal's "Cross Border" Fee???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    has anyone been hit with this?

i sent a bass across the border to Canada, and the buyer to whom i sold the bass was slapped with this weird "cross border" fee. seems to be a set fee, cause i was hit with $19.99.

the buyer says he's never been hit with this, and also says i should fight it.

what say you, oh TB?

2. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    i sent money to AU 3 times without fee's. Looks like paypa is stickin it to us.

You know they are owned by ebay....

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've sold to Germany before and not gotten a fee. Is it supposed to be for just Canada and Mexico?

4. I have been selling stuff cross border and I have never had such a fee assessed. If they did it to me though, I would have to stop taking paypal for cross border stuff as it would cost basically the entire price of the items. I am off to look on Paypal to see if I can find anything on this.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The info's there, but it's pretty well buried. From PayPal.com:

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    doesnt everyone have premier accounts? what other account is there, to not get hit with the fee?