Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PB-800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woodster, May 9, 2004.

1. woodster

woodster

Apr 24, 2004
    I see Ampeg is coming out with a new PortaBass head the PB-800.I wonder if they`re going have PB800 cabs for the upgrade in power!!

2. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Bump for a good topic.

Anyone try it out yet? How does it stack up against the other heads in this category? How much is it?

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Why would they need new cabs? The current ones appear to be suited for the PB-800 just fine. The PB-800 can only put out the 800W at 2 ohms... ;)

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have been waiting to try one. I don't know if anyone around here will get one in to sell though. I was told the portabass line was going to be discontinued due to lack of sales. I love my 210H cab. Being sealed, it is super smooth, but has a great tone. I wasn't impressed with the smaller portabass head though. I only heard in with the 2x10 combo, but it sounded terrible. High distorion, speakers would fart out. So many things wrong with the sound. I doubt the 800 will suffer from the same probems. This this is 20 lbs, which is pretty darn heavy, but it looks like it might be compact in size. Anyhow, you can power 2 2x10 or 2x12 portabass cabs, which would be crazy loud. I will give it a try if I can.
    Later,
    Wes

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't see why this is such a big deal... GK 1001RB's have always been ~18 lbs, and will always smoke the ampeg. I remember Ampeg had a PB-1200 that was 800@8, 1000@4, and 1200@2... It was adverised awhile ago...

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The GK1001 is a killer amp. It has more power than I will ever need. I just like options. I think it also has a built in compressor. I like Ampeg's tone just as much as I like the GK tone. It just depends on which day...
    Wes

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The big deal (for me) is it has two full preamp channels. You can have two basses plugged in all the time with their own volume and EQ. Great for doublers. It also doesn't need to be racked like many other heads out there.

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Now that makes sense... Maybe if the portabass cabs were a little more efficent, they would sell. There was a 1x10 cab here on clearance for $200...