1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pbass C tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by canaQ, May 13, 2010.

1. canaQ

canaQ

Nov 16, 2009
    Eindhoven, Holland
    Hi,

I've got an '83/'84 Squier "SQ" Precision Bass, and it's currently tuned down to standard C tuning (C-F-A#-D#). I've got .130-.065 strings on it, and have modified it with new CTS pots and an Orange Drop (0.01µF), and the nut is adjusted too.

Now, I took it to a shop to get a good setup, but they didn't succeed. When I'm playing, the strings are touching the (last?) frets, which adds a really annoying, high sound. The only way to avoid this is turning down the tone (which makes it a little less annoying), but I would like to be able to play with the tone open as well.
    I can't turn the trussrod clockwise anymore, and turning the bridge higher didn't do any good.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this annoying sound?

Thanks in advance!

2. How aggressively do you play? Pick or fingers? On my Drop C basses setup with medium action the strings will barely touch the frets if I dig in too much. It was super annoying at first but it made me focus on my right hand technique and learning how to play more "gently" which in turn equaled more consistent picking/plucking.

3. canaQ

canaQ

Nov 16, 2009
    Eindhoven, Holland
    Well, I'm playing with my fingers and not really aggresive. My action is at the moment quite high, so I guess that won't be the problem...

4. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Take that instrument to a Luthier. Most shops/music stores have amateur luthier wannabees that do set ups and most the time do ok jobs. My Luthier spends time with me asking questions about playing styles, strings, kind of music etc. When my axe is handed back to me it plays incredibly well. Make sure you get to talk to the luthier cuz some shops you only get to talk to the man behind the counter that always seems to know more than you. Sounds like you need a nut modification.

5. Find a different guy to set it up.

6. canaQ

canaQ

Nov 16, 2009
    Eindhoven, Holland
    There are only some big ass music companies here, and don't know any small businesses with a capable luthier who can do the job. I'll check around and try to find one...

When I'm fretting a string, and I tap gently with my finger on the string, it does make that sound. But when I take a close look at my fretboard, I seems the string isn't touching any fret at all. How can I check if it's the fretboard?