Pbass PickUp On Jazz Bass Question!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SG-Jazz, Aug 4, 2009.

1. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hey everyone, I was thinking of trying to mod my USA Jazz Deluxe to fit A Pbass Pickup for that added punch and tonal dimensions. I saw a bass player retain both Jazz pickups and fit the P pickup inbetween. I was thinking of just removing the neck pickup and fitting the pbass pickup there. What would be the difference in tone and do any of my fellow bass players have any recomendations, experience, or preferences?

Thanks

2. why not just sell it and get a PJ?

3. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I reall like the neck, tone, and size of the Jazz. I just want to blend a little P into it.

4. SG-Jazz

SG-Jazz

Dec 24, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Anyone...

5. I think that it wouldn't sound the same at all as the P- pickup would be like an inch or two closer to the bridge than standard, you wouldn't have that punch and fatness of the P-bass, the sound that I assume you are after.

Your best bet would be to buy a separate pickguard for your P-pick-up, and have the routing in your body made in a way that you could have either a Jazz or P-bass pickup in the neck position. Add to that quick connect lugs to the leads and you could swap the neck pickup depending on your needs.

6. Hiya,

I did that to a Japan Jazz in the late 80's. EMG P and J's. Ran it on 18v. (Edit, just reread your original post, I added a P with the Jazz's, not pull the neck jazz and swap in a P)

With just the P, I couldn't tell the difference between it and any other P with EMG's. If you roll in a little J neck with the P you get a very ballsy sound with round wounds. If you play both J's and roll in a little P it will add just enough fundamental to really lay down a groove while still having the Jazz high end.

I have a frankenbass going together now with a P neck, Jazz body, routed for JPJ with Fender USA Jazz's and a G&L Multi Field P. I'm not just going for 2 different model sounds this time, I'm going for different brand sounds. Should be fun.

Tom

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021