1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pbass Project!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Nordstrand Fatstacj

36.1%
  2. Nordstrand MM4._

22.2%
  3. G$L MFD Humbucker

13.9%
  4. Carrots (Specify or specidie)

27.8%
  1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I need some opinions, here. I plan on making a Pbass eventually with another pickup at the bridge, but I can't decide which one to get.

I'll be using a Status Graphite P-replacement neck on a Warmoth Dinky-P body made of swamp ash. I plan on top routing it, the whole thing being passive (to play nice with my effects). I'm thinking about giving each pickup a set of stacked tone/vol knobs, and using a switch for series/parallel.

Now what I'm looking for in a second pickup is something that will compliment the P pickup. I like bright sounding basses, and I guess I'm looking for what a P lacks, some mids and some treble (but I still want a solid low end). I plan on playing this bass in a lot of different musical situations, for example I'm playing with a metal band right now while working on another indie rock project. My current Pbass is SUPER hot, and I guess I've gotten used to that; my rig is built around that in some ways. So I guess I want something that I can use for a solo or a lead sound. I actually do a lot of soloing and leading in many of my projects...

I love the P sound, and I was planning on using Nordstrand NP4's for hte P pickup. Of the other pickups, I was thinking about using a Nordstrand Fatstack, a Nordstrand MM4._ pickup, or a G&L MFD humbucker. Remember, this bass is all passive, so the MM pickup won't have a preamp.

Feel free to suggest any other pickup, too.

2. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    I think you might like the Stan Hinesly Hot J for a match. He has a nice P/J set as well.

3. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Man, I made all kinds of typos in the Poll! I meant Fatstack and G&L.

4. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Can anyone clarify as to why they've chosen their answer?

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Seriously, what makes the Fatstack or MM better than the G&L?

And will the MM sound ok without a preamp?

6. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Well, I voted the MFD, even though it may be way too hot. Two Nordstrands will probably have a more balanced output.

7. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah. Good point.

The only one I've tried was the G&L, and I liked it a lot. I seem to be leading in that direction, but if I can hear some discussion about them, I'd really appreciate it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021