1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PBS Paul Simon Award Show - Who's On Bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by MT Spaces, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Anybody watch the Paul Simon / Gershwin Popular Song Writer Award Show on PBS? ....... Not much DB but some very nice DB playing with jazz trio (DB, piano, drums) and Dianne Reeves on vocals. Lotsa great, rock-solid EB playing by one bassist throughout the rest of the show. Not that I know a lot .... but his melodic fretless EB playing on "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" seemed to me to be simply beautiful. Anyone know who those bass guys are? I'm sure they are well-known .... just not to me :) ! Thanks.

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The guy who played the fretless part on the original recording of "diamonds on the soles of her shoes", and on the broadcast is Bakithi Kumalo. I believe he has played about all the bass for Mr. Simon since the Graceland record.
    I thought the guy on URB was a regular bassist for Diana Reeves, but I don't know for sure, and I don't know his name. A fine player though.
    The bass player with Ms. Reeves is apparently Reginald Veal. From what I read he has played with a number of top acts, including Wynton Marsalis.
    RD

3. Thanks RD .... good calls :) ! I appreciate the info. Bakithi surely is an amazing EBassist: http://bakithikumalo.com/ . Seemed like he played a different bass for every song on the show .... he must have had a 1/2 dozen slabs hanging up behind him :D .

I googled DBassist Reginald Veal and found out that he has worked with Todd Williams, Delfeayo Marsalis, Wynton Marsalis, Wycliffe Gordon, Wessell Anderson, Herlin Riley, Eric Reed, and Marcus Roberts.

I hope PBS puts this Paul Simon & Friends show out on DVD .... it was an awesome musical x-trava-ganza :p .

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021