Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PBS The Art of Violin Broadcast

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Johnny L, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I saw this thing yesterday afternoon, and it had clips of people like Oistrakh, Kreisler, Heifetz, Stern, and so on performing. Awesome stuff.

Of all the guys on that little instrument David Oistrakh was my favorite. At first hearing I'm not sure exactly why yet, but I want to say it's because his playing is very rich and full...you get the whole violin rather than just the top end from this guy. And he didn't display that really fast, hectic vibrato I have difficulty enjoying. I'm sure there's a whole lot more to this guy than just this, even if what I say can't be defended.

There were also little parts in the documentary where things like tuning were discussed, how some players would play a particular note flat to bring notice to it. Neat. And of course the bowings used to execute all that stuff were amazing.

It all made the bass seem much bigger when I went back to it to work scales that evening and appreciative that even if we never get to do some of the things those violinists do, we can still work our instrument to make them sound their best.

2. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    That oistrakh performance made the hair on the back of my neck standup. i've been trying to remember what he was playing ever since i saw that- do you know? I should just buy the DVD.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I concur on the Oistrakh performance although it was a great show throughout.

4. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I remember him getting down in a cadenza for a Shostakovich song. Really nice, but I don't know what it was or if this is what you were thinking of.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    He was performing in Moscow I seem to recall.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    on second thought if it was shostakovich it may not have been in the USSR. Wasn't Dimitri banned ?

7. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I don't recall his being banned, but I do remember reading somewhere that he had to struggle quite a bit to express what he wanted in his music while keeping the establishment happy. I was only interested in a little background on his 5th symphony at the time and wanted to know where the silly march in the middle of the 1st mvmt. came from.

8. Robin Ruscio

Robin Ruscio Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver, CO, USA
    it was the shastacovich violin concerto. Shastacovich was once ripped apart in an editorial for one of his opera's in a review that was thought to be written by Stalin himself- he was chastised for producing "bourgeois" music that didn't nothing to glorify the people and the soviet state- so he changed his compositional style to be more in the tradition of the romantic russian masters- although it has later been suggested there may have been a subversive element in there, although that has been disputed to.