1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PC based amp/effects emulation software Q's/advice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Unrepresented, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Hi,

I'm hoping to get back into recording home demos of my material and need an easy to navigate guitar amp emulation software with quality sound.

I downloaded the demo of Amplitube 2 and would ideally prefer a few more choices in terms of amps modeled, but at least the interface is easy enough.

My only real gripe with it is that I've got latency issues running it and my computer (which is fairly outdated at this point) struggles to open up the apparently massive program.

What other choices are there that are similar in size and scope? Is the latency issue because of my five year old computer hardware or is it inherent in the software itself?

I didn't find a lot of info searching, hopefully you'll be able to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks.

2. try guitar rig 3 by native instruments

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Try the asio4all drivers
    http://www.asio4all.com/

Also keep in mind recording versus live latency. Even if you're computer can't keep up live, you could record clean (or with less effects), then add the effects afterwards. This give the real time monitoring as little of latency as possible, and allows you to add as much effects as you want to the final product.

Good sounding "free", but not high performance is Voxengo Boogex.

4. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Will try their demo, just wondering what some of the conventional opinions are between the two.
    That's how I did some tracks in my limited time on the trial demo, unfortunately it feels very "wrong" to play something and hope that the emulated version will sound the way you want it. Stuff turned out usable, but ultimately I have a feeling I'll be quite frustrated trying to record things like pinch harmonics or matching a trem or delay speed without being able to hear the effected sound while recording. Is this just a resources issue, or is it nearly unavoidable with anything less than a premium system?

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Just turn off the effects you don't need at the moment. i.e. Reverb, chorus, extreme EQ. Prerecord drums tracks, keyboards, etc - so they're not playing samples.
    The asio drivers will help with latency. If you don't have them with your sound card use the asio4all - it works great for me (YMMV).

1 ms delay is about 1 ft in speed-of-sound, so 20 ms is about 20ft. You can easily learn to adjust your playing to 20ms/20ft. If your latency is worst, you could look into upgrading.

6. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    Have a look at one of these.

It's a hardware all analogue box that emulates a guitar amp.

I have had one of these for 6 months and it is much better than any models I have heard. It feels like a real amp and the speaker sim makes a world of difference. You could spend months tweaking a pod or j-station and still not have something as real sounding or responsive as this.

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I have Line6 Gearbox Gold edition with all the add-ons. I've had the software for about a year and I still have used all the amp models and effects combinations. A lot of the bass amp models sound very good. It also lets you mix and match cabs and, you can mic the cabs (a few different mic types available) and set the mic distance.

8. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    Guitar Rig is wonderful and can ship with a handy interface device = reduced latency monitoring!

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I was. Still unacceptable live latency and a struggle to open the program inside Adobe Audition as a VST just to do some post "clean" recording emulation.:oops:
    I downloaded those drivers, hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to try things again, although my trial period has passed on Amplitube meaning I get a nasty static tone every 10 seconds or so.

I absolutely can't deal with latency though. Total pet peeve.
    I'll check that out, my gut check is to wonder why it's priced so low for a hardware piece when the equivalent software is twice as much...
    I'll definitely download the demo this weekend when I've got some time to play around with it. Is the hardware actually a processor or just a control pedal?
    Will check that out too. Thanks.

10. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer

Feb 25, 2006
    Kent UK
    No latency with the JD10 hardware box....

Why is it cheap?

Small company (you can speak to them on the phone) with little advertising. I suspect it is run by enthusiasts rather than accountants. The box has been around since 1991, so all the development costs have been recouped.

Software is expensive because people are prepared to pay a lot of money for something that looks funky and has lots of "snapshots" of famous amp tones. IMO software cannot really model a valve amp to the extent we are lead to believe for the simple reason that physicists still do not fully understand exactly what goes on inside a valve. In other words it is not the "black box" that modelling considers it to be....

Consequently, the models will not respond in the same way the real thing will.

I will get off my soap box now!!

Reviews at harmony central...

here and here.

11. Inflin

Inflin

Apr 30, 2007
    Newcastle, UK/Currently London
    Affiliated with Genelec, Avalon Design.
    It doesn't process any of the effects, but it does act as an audio interface (or external soundcard, if you wanna call it that) which should more or less wipe out any latency.

12. It will give you zero latency monitoring upstream of the effects. If you want to hear the processed sound while you play you have to wait for it to be processed. Thus latency.

I can get 1.33msec on hardware that middle tier like 3 years ago(AMD Athlon 64, 2gHz, just one cpu, one core), but that's on a pretty heavily hacked up linux system. Unless you are using something pretty old you should be able to do 10msec. That's no different than the distance to your amp on stage. How one goes about optimizing a Windows machine is not something I would even want to think about, but people do.

13. joebingo

joebingo

Aug 23, 2006
    London, UK
    how different is that to 2 (ie, would it be worth upgrading?)