Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pc based recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Hi guys i am hoping you can help me out a liottle on this one. I am planning out my new comuter i am going to build and when i am done with that I am going to rebuild my current comutr for recording. I was wondering what suggestions you could make on what to ut in my comuter.

hardware wise i was thinking about a..
    1 gig pentium
    512 mb ram
    cd-r
    i want an ethernet card to connect with my other c to send wav files over

i am not sure if i should have a mixer or a virtual mixer what do you think?

what rograms would you suggest to record with? i am looking for something where i can track wav files not midi.

what sound card would you suggest commercially the new soundblaster cards look to be good with the live drive but i would like something i can use my xlr lines into.

any help you can give would be greatly areciated. if you can think of anything I didnt ask feel free to say so.

Thanks in advance
    Jared

2. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I've done a lot of recording and engineering, but usually on a studio scale and always on a mac. I don't thinnk the software or hardware I used(protools w/digi001) is available for PC. I also don't know what you want to spend, or use this equipment for. I've seen ads for a tascam interface that would probably suit you really well. It's something like 8 channels of inputs and faders and I'm pretty sure it comes with software. That might be what you're looking for, cost wise too. I was looking into it for home use, but I own a mac.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd recommend a Midiman Delta 44 or Audiophile.

Great driver support, ASIO for Cubase, EASI for Logic and GSIF for Gigasampler/studio.

Stay away from the SB Live, sh!tty hardware and drivers (no asio).

The Audigy may be better, but you can't record with higher than 48kHz/16bit. The AD/DA converters of the Midiman are much better.

The Delta cards are bundled with great software, so you can start right away. You get a special version of Emagic Logic that is a great audio sequencer.

www.midiman.com

4. actually ro tools is now available on c as of about 6 months ago i believe. I have tinkered with the free version but didnt learn it to well plus it had complecations with other programs i had on my c. But i am going to have a c for recording alone so it should be ok. I will look into the tascam. The big reason that i am looking into using the pc is price. I can build a c for this pretty chea and just purchace the software lus as newer and better technology comes out i can upgrade rather then replace.

thanks for the info i dont wanna limit my choices

5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW: The Digi001 is avaible for PC, but a lot of people complain about the driver situation.

Personally I think that ProTools lost it's advantage to other sequencers. Nuendo, Cubase, Logic and Samplitude are great alternatives.

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm in the same boat, but here's what I'm considering getting (after some research):
    • 1(+) GHz Athlon T-bird (screw the pentium...athlons are a much better bang for the buck.)
    • 40 GB 7200 rpm hard drive
    • Delta 1010 soundcard
    • CD-R (speed depends on budget...don't really need anything super fast though)
    • Cool Edit Pro, Cubase, Cakewalk, or Sound Forge for software.
    I know most companies recommend Pentiums, but the only major conflict I know of is between Pro Tools and non-pentium systems. And Pro-Tools is useless unless you're a pro and can afford all that hardware with it.

I plan on getting a 12 channel mixer too, but haven't decided on that yet. I want to use the mixer + power amp + speakers for a PA, because I think that would be better. But I don't know which mixer or speakers to get. :confused:

I hope that helps you out. :)

Hugh

PS: Can anyone help me out? :D:cool:

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    If you've got a budget, Cubase. If you really want power on a PC, Nuendo.

I worked as a ProTools engineer for 5 years or so, and Nuendo is the closest thing to ProTools on the PC that I've come across. It's also very CPU efficient, meaning it'll do more than most of the other audio programs available.

Good Luck

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nuendo rocks!

But it's not cheap, it's an expensive piece of software (around 1000 $).
    Worth every penny, though.

www.nuendo.com

9. rockjockjared

rockjockjared

Oct 17, 2001
    Lubbock, TX
    We used to use Cool Edit Pro along with N-Track Studio. It was the cheap way out, but it worked. As far as hardware we went the cheap way again. 3 sound cards in a single computer = 6 tracks at a time. It worked after a lot of work getting the cards not to have any conflicts. But we put out a cd this way...kind of jicky, but it worked :)

Jared

10. I am looking into the differences between Protools for the PC and Neundo.. I look at it as I am 21 I have a long time to use whatever I go with. I may as well wait and drop the money into something high quality then get something cheap then decide to get something better all the time till i eventualy drop the money into it anyway.

11. I haven't seen any mention of MOTU's stuff. Digital Performer is a great piece of software comparable to ProTools and the software and hardware is affordable, of good quality, and made for both Mac and PC.
    You would have to buy an external mixer but you would have much more control and versatlility.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I haven't heard of anyone who uses DP on the PC.

Nuendo/Cubase have the advantage of ASIO drivers, rewire possibilities with Rebirth and Reason, and VST interface for virtual FX and Synths.

Emagic Logic offers this as well, but not as good as Steinberg yet.

13. sideman1

sideman1

May 7, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    I've used Nuendo exclusively for a year and a half now, and would't trade it for anything.

14. I'm probably wrong about that then. Although I know their hardware is PC compatible. Both the audio and MIDI interfaces.
    I've always used a Mac for my recording purposes. It gives me a lot more flexibility and compatiblilty with pro studios.

15. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Nuendo is truely a powerful program, and it is somewhat less of a labyrinth than Cubase or Logic (read that as it is more intuitive for musicians to use).
    Someone mentioned SoundForge as their software choice. It should be noted that SF is an editing program, and as such is simply a two track audio program for editing and mixing tracks recorded already in a more complex dig audio program.
    Many of the digital recording programs are a bit of a maze to navigate. They are quite complex and deep. They offer a lot of options and power, but were designed from the mindframe of computer-folks, not musicians. In that sense they feature a somewhat steep learning curve.
    I have been using (Sonic Foundry)Vegas of late, and sometimes Logic Platinum. I think Vegas deserves a look..it is very easy and intuitive, and you can fly your Vegas recorded tracks straight into SoundForge for editing and then on to CD Architect for mastering (which will allow you to sequence yer CD, set timing codes, track notes, optimize levels, do crossfades etc. and burn your CD at Red Book specs!)..and you can do all of this without ever leaving the Vegas program. Pretty cool. You can also fly your saved .wav files right into Acid for some "tres cool" loop/tracking/remixing fun and mayhem!
    I will second the M-Audio Delta series suggestion. They (MidiMan/M-Audio) are making some great stuff! Exceptional converters which are housed in a breakout box away from the noisy interior of your CPU. It would be worth considering the Delta Omni Studio for your needs, as it includes some very fine mic pres in addition to the soundcard...and some zero latency monitor feeds.
    Max