1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PC Demonym for U.S. Citizens?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HollowBassman, Mar 15, 2008.

1. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Does this sound familiar?-"What do you mean you're an 'American'? I'm from Central America, are you saying that I'm not an American?" I've been "corrected" several times when claiming to be an American, so I was wondering, if "American" is not the PC demonym for us, what is?

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Huh? :confused:

3. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

4. You are a US citizen. I am from North America and I am proud to be a Canadian, not an "American".

lowsound

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Well, when you are living in America it stands to reason that you would be speaking American. In American, to say that you are an American means that you are from America...not some strange, backward place like Canada or South America.

Now if you're anywhere else in the world and speaking English...well that's for losers, and to tell you the truth, its the reason we Americans speak American rather than English in the first place.

In conclusion: USA USA USA USA

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Yes, it is, and has been for centuries.

(BTW, if that "Central American" is so ********** proud of it, what the **** is he doing here?)

7. The loser is the guy who speaks 'American' only, and in his small-minded nationalism is unable to know other cultures. Their loss.

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Estadounidense" is how they say "United-Statesian" in Spanish-speaking parts of the Americas. But even then, technically Mexico's full modern name is "the United States of Mexico".

I think the PC way is to say "I'm from the US" or "from the USA", as there isn't a commonly-used word in PC English meaning "USA-ian". :)

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    [​IMG]

10. No, it doesn't sound familiar at all.

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I prefer Caucasian-American of European Descent... anyone calls me anything else, I get grossly offended.

12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    We're yanks whether we like it or not. I yank quite frequently actually.

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    [​IMG]

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    What's worse are those people who have no idea of the proper tense to use in their second sentence, which is usually where the punchline/point of their post is.

But no one can be worse than those poor, unfortunate souls who can't see sarcasm staring them right in the face.

:rolleyes:

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    [​IMG]

16. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    You've won the thread twice so far. Any more tricks up your sleeve? :D

17. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Gringo

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Are you kidding? I host my own server. The sky's the limit.

:p

19. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Wow! That woman's holding up a sign that I'm pretty sure says "Free Rickenbacker!"

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Whoever is correcting you is an idiot. Even if the correct term for someone who was from the USA was not "American" (but what else could it be???), you are still correct in calling yourself an "American" in the context which the person correcting you means it. If he is saying that being an American means you are from North or South America, then someone from the USA qualifies anyway, so how are you saying that he is not American (in the broader sense) by calling yourself an American? That doesn't make any sense.