1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PC Gaming builds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmpedSilence, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hello all!

I did a search of "PC Gaming" and did not find anything relevant to what I was looking for; A lot of outdated stuff was found too :meh:

Are there any PC gamers out there? Particularly those who bulid there own gaming rigs?
    I have plans to build a PC this coming September but the last time I ever cracked open a computer was when I bought an Nvidia GPU by BFG back in 1999 lol.

Needless to say I had a lot to learn but I feel confident I have somewhat caught up with new hardware :D

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Right here! Things are much easier today. As long as you stick the parts in the slot it fits in, you're good. And installing and using Windows 7 (and I hate to admit this) is a joy!

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes, but be sure use and anti static wrist strap while assembling your build. 5 dollar worth while investment.

4. Awesome! I've got a couple of parts on a build list over at pcpartpicker.com. Care to take a look?

I tried sharing over on tomsharware's forum but since its a modest microATX build, it gets overshadowed by the $1,000+ gaming builds lol.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.98 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($194.98 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: OCZ 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $677.91
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-10 01:02 EDT-0400)

I'm not sure if I want to go with the gtx 560ti yet. I'm also skipping the optical drive, I have an external one.

5. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I build a new one every few years. I'm about due and this time I'm going with water cooling on the GPU and CPU. After the recent run of dead GPU's from fan failures I'm calling no joy.

6. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Looks like a good setup. Personally I'd want an extra 500gb - 1tb hard drive for storage, but it's not a necessity. FWIW - my OCZ SSD failed in less than 6 months. I've had better luck with a Crucial M4 though it's not quite as fast.

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'd get a better motherboard.

8. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Never used one and built tons of computers and never a problem. Just go up and touch something that YOU KNOW will discharge any static from you!

9. +1 on adding another harddrive.

I'd look at getting a smaller SSD and just having the OS and a few applications on it with another drive or two for storage and games.

You haven't mentioned OS, but (as I'm sure you realise) make sure to get the 64 bit OS if you are running that much RAM. Otherwise most of it will be sitting there unused.

Not too up on power requirements (last build was ~2008), but make sure you'll have enough juice, remember, a larger power supply is like having a larger amp, you may not need it, but it can come in handly (especially if you start adding a few more HDDs, also, not a clue the draw of that GFX card.)

10. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah I never use them and never had a problem. That doesn't mean it isn't good advice though. Better to err on the side of caution.

OP I will second the opinion of not getting an OCZ SSD. The Samsungs are very nice and super fast.

I put one together a couple of weeks ago because my old one finally died. I also picked up a 3 TB 6Gbps HDD for like $120. For the price that is incredible! I'm on my phone but I can post from a computer later and give some more input.

11. Like a wife or child? (shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, ZAP!!!, Peter Griffin giggle)

12. Can I use one of the old towers I have lying around to do a gaming build?

13. Awesome input, thanks guys!

I honestly wasn't sure I'd get much feedback here so I left out a couple of details...

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, ready to do a fresh instal on the SSD. My plan originally was to get an SSD big enough as a boot drive for Windows, a couple of frquently used programs and favorite games (1 or 2). 120GB sounded good for the price!
    I have two WD 2.5 500GB hard drives I had planned on installing one in it instead of using both as usb external drives.
    And thanks for the heads up on the OCZ drives! I'll be looking at other ones.

Ziltoid - Is there a specific reason in looking at other motherboards? It seemed pretty good to me for what I'm going to use it for. I will not be overlocking the CPU at all. I won't be having to GPUs at one time in SLI or Crossfire either.

I might go with a less power hungry GPU, like an ATI model. I hear good things about the Radeon HD6950. Not top of the line, but I don't need it to be. I just want better graphics than my Xbox had, R.I.Pieces, Damn you lightning!!!

14. How many fans does it have? I'd definitely look into getting one with good air cooling if its for gaming.

15. One as far as I know. these are so old, I don't even think there would be parts laying around for them.

16. I'd invest in a case that has at least 3 fans, like the one in my list. at $40.00 its a good deal, although it is small (for microATX motherboards). I had originally planned on a mid-tower case (for full sized ATX motherboards) but they are big! I was getting carried away, trying to look at water cooling and double graphics cards lol.
    They have great cooling features though! you can add way more than five case fans on most.

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I just built a new PC a few weeks ago. Specs are...

Corsair 400r case
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo
    Intel i5 3570k processor (OC'd to 4.2 GHz)
    MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti OC
    8 gigs Corsair Vengeance RAM
    750 Watt NZXT PSU
    Corsair H100 water cooler
    Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD
    2 extra fans on the side of the case

Runs like a champ, idles around 30 C, and hasn't broken 50 C yet, even with Skyrim on Ultra and a crapload of mods :hyper:

18. ^ thats a sweet build! And that's the same GPU I was looking at! Do you play any BF3? I might not get the ultra settings to run smooth without overclocking but as long as most games run on high settings...

have you given the i5's integrated graphics a try lol. what does it use an HD4000?

19. So, here's a n00b question, since I rarely get into the guts of a 'puter, this will also work as a surfing machine, and Office apps, and such?

20. And then some! his build is like a corvette. A normal PC would be a prius. Both can take you to the same place but one can take you there faster!
    There is some things regular PCs can't do. Gaming on one takes a good graphics card, good cooling, plenty of ram memory and a fast processor. That's the just of it.

In short, yes. His build can do anything a regular PC can. Its just on steroids.